Mr Edward Casswell is a Consultant Ophthalmologist who specialises in Cataracts, Medical & Surgical retinal diseases. He works for UH Sussex NHS Foundation Trust at Sussex Eye Hospital (Brighton), Southlands Hospital (Shoreham) and St Richard’s Hospital (Chichester).
- Routine Cataract Surgery
- Complex Cataract Surgery (including intraocular lens exchange & secondary intraocular lenses)
- Medical Retina conditions (macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease)
- Surgical Retina conditions (retinal detachment, epiretinal membrane, macula hole)
Mr Casswell graduated from University College London medical school and completed his ophthalmic training in North London, including 5 years at Moorfields Eye Hospital. He completed two advanced retinal surgery fellowships, in addition to a 6-month fellowship in medical retinal disease at Moorfields.
He has been
awarded over 40 academic prizes during his career, including the University of
London MBBS Gold Medal 2010, the FRCOphth Crombie Gold Medal 2013 & Harcourt
Gold Medal 2017. He completed an MD research degree at UCL in 2020 and
maintains a research interest in retinal eye disease.
- Cataract Surgery (routine & complex)
- Medical Retina (eg Macula Degeneration, Diabetes)
- Surgical Retina (eg Retinal Detachment, Macula Hole, Epiretinal Membrane)
Tennis, Cycling, Diving & Skiing.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Edward Casswell at Nuffield Health
- YAG Capsulotomy
- Visual Fields
- Cataract Surgery
Mr Edward Casswell completed a Vitreoretinal Clinical Research Fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital between 2016-18. This involved running a number of clinical trials aiming to improve outcomes following retinal detachment repair.
He maintains a strong
research interest, particularly in retinal disease and a full list of his peer-reviewed
publications is available online - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=casswell+ej&sort=date
- Royal College of Ophthalmologist
- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
Other posts held
- Consultant Ophthalmologist at UH Sussex (Sussex Eye, Southlands and St Richards Hospitals)