Mr David Simpson is an established and experienced Consultant orthopaedic surgeon. He is the leading regional exponent of custom made, personalised 'Signature' knee replacements.
Mr Simpson qualified from Sheffield Medical School in 1993. He undertook house officer jobs in Sheffield, before spending a year teaching anatomy at Leeds Medical School, followed by basic surgical training in Edinburgh for three years and then completed six years of registrar training on the Stoke/Oswestry rotation.
He completed a fellowship at Sportsmed - SA, in Adelaide, Australia in 2004. This is the largest sports injury/joint replacement centre in the Southern Hemisphere. Excellent experience was gained in the treatment of all hip and knee disorders.
In January 2006, he was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton. He undertakes both trauma and elective duties. Areas of expertise are:
- Custom made patient specific "Signature" knee replacements
- Sports Injuries
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery
- Cartilage surgery
- Tibial osteotomy / realignment surgery
- Knee replacement
- Hip replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Hip revision
Mr Simpson carried out the first 'shape-matching' Signature knee replacement at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton in 2011 and has introduced this technique across his private practice. Patients undergo a MRI scan of their knee prior to surgery. From the MRI data, custom made cutting jigs are made specific to each patient which allows the perfect restoration of the patient's lower limb mechanical axis following insertion of their new knee. Benefits include, less soft tissue damage, quicker surgery, reduced risk of infection, earlier recovery and function and with perfect mechanical alignment the lifespan of the knee replacement should improve.
Squash (Former British U14 / U16 National Champion), mountain biking, golf.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr David Simpson at Nuffield Health
- Hip replacement surgery
- Knee arthroscopy surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
Mr Simpson has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals. A selection are available below:
- Blood loss after total knee replacement. Effects of Computer Assisted Surgery, Kalairajah Y, Simpson D, Cossey AJ, Verrall GM, Spriggins AJ., J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2005; 87-B: 1480-2.
- Limb alignment in computer-assisted minimally invasive unicompartmental knee replacement, Keene G, Simpson D, Kalairajah Y., J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2006; 88-B: 44-8.
- Viable cells survive in fresh frozen human bone allografts, Simpson D, Kakarala G, Hampson K, Steele N, Ashton B, Acta Orthopaedica 2007; 78 (1): 26-30
- British Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
Other post held
- Private Practice at Nuffield Health Wolverhampton Hospital
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
Insurers Mr David Simpson works with
Mr David Simpson works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr David Simpson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr David Simpson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr David Simpson does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.