David Exon was appointed as Consultant Upper GI & General Surgeon in Leicester in 2010. Originally from Birmingham, he studied medicine at the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, qualifying in 1990. He then trained in all aspects of General, Upper GI & Pancreatobiliary Surgery in London and Hong Kong. After working in NW Thames; at hospitals such as Hammersmith & The Royal Marsden, he took up the post of Clinical Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Oesophagogastric Surgery, Chinese University of Hong Kong (2001), before being appointed Consultant Upper GI & Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgeon in Ninewells Hospital, Dundee (2004-2010).
He has considerable experience in the laparoscopic surgical management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, hiatal hernia repair and oesphageal dysmotility. He has carried out over 1500 keyhole operations (antireflux procedures, cholecystectomy, hernia repairs), since becoming a consultant.
- Laparoscopic cardiomyotomy
- Oesophageal mobility disorder
- Therapeutic endoscopy
Most of David’s free time is spent with his wife, Susan and their two boys – Jonathan and Ben. If there is any time left then the bike, rugby or the labradoodle calls.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr David Exon at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- Hernia repair
- Weight loss surgery
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Reflux surgery
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Gastric band (lap banding)
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
Mr Exon’s research and academic profile includes published articles in high impact, peer-reviewed journals on molecular predictors of prognosis in oeosophago-gastric cancer surgery, as well as presenting at both national and international conferences on the cellular stress response of laparoscopic surgery and cytoprotection. He has recently finished supervising both an MSc and PhD student, and is in the process of transferring his research portfolio from Dundee to Leicester.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Society of Academic and Research Surgery
- Experts in Severe and Complex Obesity (ESCO)
Other posts held
- Consultant Upper GI &
- General Surgeon, Leicester Royal Infirmary
Insurers Mr David Exon works with
Mr David Exon works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr David Exon does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr David Exon does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr David Exon does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.
Free events with Mr David Exon
Friday 11 February 2022
Mr David Exon
This event is for anyone who is exploring the option for Weight loss surgeryBook your place now