Mr A Bagul is a Consultant Surgeon dealing with Renal Transplant, General and Endocrine surgery. He is also the Head of Transplant Service and the East-Midlands representative for the Kidney advisory group (KAG). He has more than 20 years’ experience and is a very skilled laparoscopic surgeon dealing with complex laparoscopic cases. Mr Bagul has also recently been awarded a National Excellence Award ODT: Excellence in Delivering Patient Care: February 2021 awarded by NHSBT/BTS.
His expertise in General Surgery offers a top quality service dealing with laparoscopic and open surgical techniques for hernia repair surgery- groin, incisional and recurrent, cholecystectomies and lumps and bumps. In relation to Endocrine Surgery, he had completed a specialist fellowship at Sheffield. His expertise covers surgeries for both thyroid and parathyroid disease to include cancer and is part of the Core MDT team. Under Transplant, he leads the live donor surgery programme and has carried out complex laparoscopic donor surgery, renal transplants and vascular access. He has mentored Consultants in London with this complex laparoscopic surgery. He holds Honorary Associate Professorship at the University of Leicester and is an educational supervisor for the specialist trainees. Age range 16+
- Endocrine and general surgery
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Lumps and bumps
- Hernias: Laparoscopic and primary repair
- Cholecystectomy: gall bladder surgery (laparoscopic)
- East Midlands Representative for Kidney Advisory Group (KAG)
- Research and Education: Supervision of MD projects and Medical Education (PGCE) as well as Educational Supervisor for Specialists trainees
English, Hindi, Urdu, Marathi
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Atul Bagul at Nuffield Health
- Endocrine investigations
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- Hernia repair
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
Extensive research portfolio with over 60 publications and 100 presentations at national and international conferences.
Pre incision infiltration of local anesthetic reduces postoperative pain with no effects on bruising and wound cosmesis after thyroid surgery. Thyroid. 2005 Nov;15(11):1245-8
Renal preservation by normothermic resuscitation perfusion with autologous blood. Br J Surg. 2008 Jan; 95(1):111-8
A review of problems following insertion of biliary stents illustrated by an unusual Complication. Annals of Royal College of Surgeons of England 2010 May; 92(4): 352 (w27-w31)
Handbook of surgical consents; Chapter 9: Transplantation Surgery Oxford University press: Nov 2011. Highly Commended in the Surgery Category, BMA Medical Book Awards 2012
Can we predict failure following surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism? World J Surg. 2014 Mar; 38(3):534-41
Seroprevalence of SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in the current
COVID-19 pandemic amongst co-workers at a UK renal transplant centre.
Transplant International (Accepted 2020)
- Royal College of Surgeons, England
- British Association of Endocrine & Thyroid Surgery (BAET’s)
- British Transplant Society (BTS)
- European Transplant Society (ESOT)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- Medical Defence Union (MDU)
Other posts held
- University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester General Hospital: Consultant Transplant & Endocrine surgeon and Head of Service
Insurers Mr Atul Bagul works with
Mr Atul Bagul works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- Freedom Health
- Westfield Health WPA
- AXA Health
Mr Atul Bagul does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Atul Bagul does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Atul Bagul does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.