Mr Anantha Madhavan is a Consultant General and Oesophago-Gastric Surgeon at Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust. He specialises in both benign and malignant diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract, including the management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
Mr Madhavan qualified from the University of Manchester, School of Medicine, and graduated with honours. He subsequently completed his post graduate surgical training and specialist surgical training in the North East of England. During this time he worked at the Northern Oesophagogastric Unit at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, which specialises in the management of benign and malignant oesophagogastric conditions and is renowned for the volume and complexity of work which is carried out.
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease:
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery
Achalasia and Oesophageal dysmotility
- Endoscopic dilatation
- Laparoscopic Hellers cardiomyotomy
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
Abdominal wall hernia
- Laparoscopic repair of inguinal hernia (TEP), (TAPP)
- Open repair of inguinal hernia
- Femoral hernia repair
- Incisional hernia repair
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Laparoscopic repair of hiatal hernia
Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Dilatation, Stent
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
Laparoscopic feeding jejunostomy
Endoscopic percutaneous feeding gastrostomy (PEG)
Excision of skin lesions
- Oesophageal and Gastric Cancer
- Barretts Oesophagus
- Advanced Endoscopy – Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR), Radio-frequency ablation (EMR)
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GIST)
- Abdominal pain
I enjoy playing cricket, cooking and enjoy spending time with my wife and children.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Anantha Madhavan at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Hernia repair
- Reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Laparoscopic reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Bilateral (inguinal) hernia repair
- Hernia unilateral
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
Mr Madhavan is passionate about oesophagogastric cancer research and obtained an MD in cancer sciences at Newcastle University in 2020. His research was focused on the early detection of oesophagogastric cancer using blood tests and led to the identification of tumour markers for oesophageal cancer in blood tests. He has published in various surgical journals in the field of oesophageal and gastric cancer and is a contributing author for a postgraduate surgical training book. Mr Madhavan has a keen interest in both undergraduate and postgraduate training and is a faculty member on a number of Royal College of Surgeons educational courses including Basic Surgical Skills (BSS) and Care of the critically ill surgical patient (CCrISP) courses.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh (RCSED)
- AUGIS (Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons (ALSGBI)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
Other posts held
- Consultant Oesophagogastric and General Surgeon Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr Anantha Madhavan works with
Mr Anantha Madhavan works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Anantha Madhavan does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Anantha Madhavan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Anantha Madhavan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.