Mr Amit Bhargava is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital specialising in all aspects of foot and ankle problems. He has done 2 Fellowships in foot and ankle surgery, 3 years training in foot surgery as part of his SPR training and a further fellowship in complex foot & ankle trauma surgery.
Mr Bhargava is working as a consultant for 5 years and has in depth knowledge and skills in his field. His practice involves a large spectrum of foot and ankle surgeries. His NHS practice mainly involves undertaking referral of complex foot and ankle cases from his colleagues. He takes special interest and has skills in managing cases which have been told that they cannot be made better or those who have had a previously failed surgery.
Because of his love for sports Mr Bhargava has a special interest in treating sports injuries. He has treated many elite sportsmen especially while practising as a foot and ankle Surgeon in India.
Mr Bhargava is a skilled surgeon and likes to do (keyhole) surgeries arthroscopically especially in the management of degenerative foot and ankle conditions in elderly. Mr Bhargava is the only foot & ankle surgeon in Essex to undertake complex diabetic foot reconstruction surgeries.
Mr Bhargava is presently working as a Consultant Foot & Ankle Surgeon at Basildon University Hospital in Essex since December 2016 where his main role is to support the Foot & Ankle service provided by the department of orthopaedics. He is also involved in the management of Diabetic foot and rheumatoid foot patients and leads the monthly Foot & Ankle and Diabetic foot MDT.
- Tuesday 14:00-17:00
- Consultant Orthopaedic Consultant at Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Trust
Ankle Arthroscopic surgery (keyhole surgery), complex fracture surgery of ankle and feet, foot and ankle problems not getting better, sports injuries of foot and ankle, deformities of foot and ankle such as flat foot, bunion, cavus foot and others, podiatry, ingrown toenails and Achilles tendon problems.
- Achilles repair
- Ankle Arthroscopy
- Ankle fusion surgery
- Bunion surgery
- Flat foot correction
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Fusion of big toe
- Hallus Valgus surgery
- Hind foot fusion
- Hind foot Osteotomy
Mr Bhargava enjoys running, cricket, hiking, badminton and table tennis. He also enjoys skiing and spending his spare time with the family.
- General Medical Council
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- Associate member American Foot & Ankle Society
- Indian Foot & Ankle society, Delhi Orthopaedic Society
1. Parker M, Handoll HH, Bhargava A. Conservative versus operative treatment for hip fractures. Update of Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(4):CD000337
2. Pervez H, Bhargava A, Parker MJ. Accuracy and reliability of the clinical indicators related to hip fractures; Injury. 2003 Jul;34(7):522-4."
3. Bhargava A, Rai P, Shrivastava R. Adult day case Hallux Valgus surgery: A safe and viable option. Ambulatory Surgery, December 2003,Volume 10, Issue 3,Pages 151 - 154
4. Bhargava A, Singh S, Shrivastava R. “Giant synovial cyst in Hip - a rare but important differential diagnosis of inguinal swellings - A report of two cases”- Hip International 2004;14(1): 51 – 54
5. Kapila A, Bhargava A, Funk L, Copeland S, Levy O."Wet diapers--dry patients": an effective dressing for patients undergoing arthroscopic shoulder surgery.Arthroscopy;2005 Feb;21(2):253-5
6. Bhargava A, Greiss M.E. Effects of smoking in foot and ankle surgery-An awareness survey of members of the British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. The Foot, Sep2007, Vol 17, 132-135.
7. Bhargava A, Jennings AG. Simultaneous metacarpophalangeal joint ulnar collateral ligament injury and carpometacarpal dislocation of the thumb in a football player: a case report. Hand Surg. 2009; 14(1):23-4.
8. Bhargava A, Vagela M, Lennox CM. "Challenges in the management of fractures in osteopetrosis"! Review of literature and technical tips learned from long-term management of seven patients. Injury. 2009 Nov; 40(11):1167-71.
9. Variables affecting the measurement of strength component in Constant – Murley Scoring System – J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, Apr 2005; 87-B: 166
10. In Vivo rotator cuff blood flow measurements using laser Doppler flowmetry. J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, Sep 2005; 87-B: 384
DeclarationMr Amit Kumar Bhargava works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Cigna International
- CS Healthcare
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Amit Kumar Bhargava does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Amit Kumar Bhargava does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Amit Kumar Bhargava does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.