Mr Abir Bhattacharyya is a Consultant ENT Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital. Mr Bhattacharyya was appointed as a Consultant ENT Surgeon at Whipps Cross University Hospital in 1997. Since 2008 he has been the Associate Director of Medical Education, a London Deanery appointment. He was appointed as the Royal College Surgical Tutor in 2010.
Mr Bhattacharyya completed his Master of Surgery in Otolaryngology at King Edward Memorial Hospital and higher surgical training in the United Kingdom, during which he worked at centres of excellence including Institute of Laryngology and Otology, Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital.
He has won numerous awards during his undergraduate and postgraduate years and was a recipient of the prestigious Royal College Travelling Fellowship. He has also won recognition for his academic, clinical excellence and educational contributions as a consultant. In recognition of his contribution to the specialty he was awarded the Fellowship of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) in 2007.
He has been a guest speaker at a number of international conferences and is a faculty member, course tutor, organiser of postgraduate courses in otolaryngology in UK and abroad.
- Surgery for deafness and middle ear surgery (stapedectomy and mastoid)
- Sinus procedures including endoscopic sinus surgery
- Voice disorders laryngeal framework surgery, phonosurgery
- Pharyngeal pouch surgery
- Photography, photobooks
- Classical Music
Hindi (Fluent - Second Language)
Bengali (Fluent - Second Language)
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Abir Bhattacharyya at Nuffield Health
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Mastoid surgery
- Middle ear surgery
National and international presentations/demonstrations as markers of research standing:
- Live Cadaveric dissection on Laryngeal framework surgery at British Academic Conference on Otolaryngology (BACO), 2012
- Demonstration of Injection Laryngoplasty and Stapedectomy surgery, Clinical Skills Centre, BACO, 2012
- Faculty on National ENT Masterclass, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2013
Collaborative role in research /clinical trials:
Investigator in a multi centric study on Feasibility of a randomised single blinded laryngeal re-innervation versus Thyroplasty in unilateral vocal fold paralysis (2012).
- Reviewer for NHS Choices on Vertigo
- Reviewer for Map of Medicine on Tonsillitis
- Associate Editor, Journal of Laryngology & Otology
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Laryngology and Voice Otolaryngology Clinics
Audits: Management pathways and outcome measures in Voice disorders
- Pocket Tutor in Otolaryngology, BMA Medical Book Awards 2012 - Highly Commended, J P Medical Publishers, London
- Editor: Laryngology, Volume 3 of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Thieme Publishers
- Fellow Royal College of Medicine
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
- Member of Court of Examiners, Royal College of Surgeons
- British Association of Otolaryngologist & Head and Neck Surgeons
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons & Physicians of Glasgow
- Fellow American College of Surgeons
- Medical Defence Union
- British Medical Association
- British Laryngological Association
Other post held
- Whipps Cross University Hospital
- Royal College Surgical Tutor and Associate Director of Medical Education
Insurers Mr Abir Bhattacharyya works with
Mr Abir Bhattacharyya works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Abir Bhattacharyya does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Abir Bhattacharyya does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Abir Bhattacharyya does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.