Miss Emily Shao graduated from Imperial College London with merit, which included time at Harvard Medical School, Boston. She undertook postgraduate medical and surgical training at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, during which time she was awarded the Outstanding Contribution Foundation Merit Award 2012 by West London Deanery, before embarking on a career in Ophthalmic Surgery.
She completed her Ophthalmic Surgical Training in the UK and through this time was awarded multiple prizes including the Trainee Researcher of the Year 2017 by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), best presentation at Congress d’Ophthalmologie, Paris 2018, and KSS Deanery School of Ophthalmology 1st Prize 2015 to name a few. Subsequently she undertook advanced subspecialty training in vitreoretinal surgery at the world-renowned Sydney Eye Hospital, under some of the leading surgeons in the field. She was appointed as Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in August 2020.
Miss Shao treats patients with general ophthalmic problems but has a particular interest in diseases of the retina and in vitreoretinal and cataract surgery. She has published in peer reviewed journals and co-authored book chapters and presented both nationally and internationally in the field.
- Routine and complex vitreoretinal surgery for conditions such as macula holes, epiretinal membranes, retinal detachments, vitreous haemorrhage, vitreomacular traction and floaters.
- Routine and complex cataract surgery.
- Combined cataract-vitrectomy surgery.
Treatments and tests offered by Miss Emily Shao at Nuffield Health
- Cataract Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- British and Eire Association of Vitreo Retinal Surgeons
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- European Society of Retina specialists
Other post held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital, Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Insurers Miss Emily Shao works with
Miss Emily Shao works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Miss Emily Shao does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Miss Emily Shao does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Miss Emily Shao does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.