Dr Chua graduated from St Mary's Hospital Medical School, London, now part of Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine. He obtained first class honours in the intercalated BSc programme and graduated with the MBBS degree in 1987.
After passing the MRCP examinations he took up cardiology specialty training in various London teaching hospitals including St Bartholomew's, Royal Free, Royal Brompton and National Heart and Hammersmith hospitals. He was also a British Heart Foundation Research Fellow researching into heart failure. Accredited as a specialist in the United Kingdom both in general medicine and cardiology, his special interests include interventional cardiology (balloon angioplasty and stenting), heart failure, hypertension and pacing.
At the Royal Surrey County Hospital Dr Chua has been closely involved in the development of cardiology services, having designed and supervised the building of the new cardiac catheter lab and day ward in 2006 and completed in 2011. He started electrophysiology services and consolidated the heart failure team. He is passionate about providing excellent cardiac care for his patients.
He was formerly the Clinical Director of Cardiology at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, and also the President of the Guildford and Godalming branch of the British Heart Foundation.
Dr Chua's special interests include interventional cardiology (where the heart is operated on using instruments inserted through arteries in the groin or in the forearm under X-ray guidance, and with the patient awake), heart failure, pacing, and the management of hypertension (high blood pressure).
For further information on Dr Chua please visit his website.
Dr Chua has many interests including reading, current affairs, oriental art antiques and motorcars.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr T P Chua at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Event monitor
- Cardiac electrophysiology study and catheter ablation
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Mitral valve balloon dilation
- Interventional cardiology
- Coronary Angioplasty (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or PCI)
Dr Chua has written and published more than 50 peer reviewed papers in cardiology journals. He was the first to show the abnormal ventilatory response to exercise in chronic heart failure patients to be a prognostic marker for the disease, linked to increased chemoreceptor activity.
- Royal College of Physicians (London)
- European Society of Cardiology
- American College of Cardiology
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- Founder member of British Society for Heart Failure
Other posts held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford
- St George's Hospital, London
- Frimley Park Hospital