Dr Stuart Cairns
MBBS, MD, MSc, FRCP
GMC number: 2211202
Practicing since: 1974
General (internal) Medicine, Gastroenterology
- Tuesday PM (Brighton)
Or call us on
Dr Cairns is a Consultant Physician with a Special Interest in Gastroenterology.
He completed his undergraduate medical training at Kings College Hospital, London, after which he did higher medical training in Cambridge, the Middlesex and University College Hospitals in London.
In 1988 he was appointed Consultant Gastroenterologist to the Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals as an accredited specialist in General (Internal) Medicine and Gastroenterology and Endoscopy. He has lectured and published a number of articles, more recently on bowel cancer screening.
- MRC Fellowship (Nutrition) 1980-3
- Bronze Clinical Excellence Award (General Medicine National award) 2004
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship MUSC, South Carolina, USA 2007
- Silver Clinical Excellence Award 2008
- Accredited Bowel Cancer Screening Endoscopist 2008
In 2008 Dr Cairns was appointed Clinical Director of the Sussex Bowel Cancer Screening programme. He is one of fouraccredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopists in Brighton.
Bowel cancer screening. Endoscopy.
Dr Cairns is married with three children (now grown up) and lives just outside of Brighton. He enjoys tennis, travel, music and walking along the South Downs.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Stuart Cairns at Nuffield Health
- Family history screening
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Urea Breath Test 13C
- Lactose breath test
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Liver function tests
- Colorectal screening
- Glucose breath test
- Biliary and renal drainage
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Liver biopsy
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Locations Dr Stuart Cairns works with
Endoscopy, pancreatic and biliary disease, colon cancer and bowel cancer screening.
- British Society of Gastronenterology
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Pancreatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, BSUH
- Clinical Director of the Sussex Bowel Cancer Screening Programme.
Insurers Dr Stuart Cairns works with
Dr Stuart Cairns works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Stuart Cairns does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Stuart Cairns does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Stuart Cairns does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.