Dr Robert Butler
MB ChB, MD, FRCP, FACC
GMC number: 3540628
Practicing since: 1991
Cardiology, General (internal) Medicine
- Tuesday AM
- Thursday PM
Or call us on
Dr Butler was appointed in 2003, he works in a major regional cardiac centre in Stoke-On-Trent, where the catchment for tertiary cardiology is nearly 2 million people across Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire.
A substantial amount of his workload is treating angina and heart attack patients with angioplasty and Stents, Closing PFOs for young people who suffered a stroke, left atrial appendage occlusion amongst other structural interventions. He manages a lot of cardiovascular risk factors including blood pressure and cholesterol.
He graduated from Manchester Medical School, and trained as a cardiologist in Liverpool, Dundee, Leicester and Auckland, New Zealand. Finally, he returned to Stoke as a consultant Cardiologist.
He is actively involved in research and the teaching of medical students and junior doctors.
- Risk Factors: Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- Palpitations including atrial fibrillation
- Cryptogenic stroke.
- The investigation and management of coronary disease.
- The investigation of heart failure
- The management of high cholesterol and high blood pressure
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Robert Butler at Nuffield Health
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Interventional cardiology
Locations Dr Robert Butler works with
Dr Butler has an extensive publication record, over a number of fields of cardiovascular research. His H index (a marker of how important his research has been) is 16, which is high. To view more publications click here.
His top 5 papers are:
- Telomere shortening in atherosclerosis. NJ Samani, R Boultby, R Butler, JR Thompson, AH Goodall. The Lancet 358 (9280), 472-473, 2001.
- Allopurinol improves endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failure. CAJ Farquharson, R Butler, A Hill, JJF Belch, AD Struthers. Circulation 106 (2), 221-226, 2002
- Allopurinol normalizes endothelial dysfunction in type 2 diabetics with mild hypertension. R Butler, AD Morris, JJF Belch, A Hill, AD Struthers. Hypertension 35 (3), 746-751 2000
- DD angiotensin-converting enzyme gene polymorphism is associated with endothelial dysfunction in normal humans. R Butler, AD Morris, B Burchell, AD Struthers. Hypertension 33 (5), 1164-1168. 1999
- Radial artery anomaly and its influence on transradial coronary procedural outcome. TS Lo, J Nolan, E Fountzopoulos, M Behan, R Butler, SL Hetherington, K ...Heart 95 (5), 410-415 2009.
These five papers have been cited by other scientists.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Member of the British Cardiovascular Society
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
Other posts held
- Consultant Cardiologist, University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Robert Butler works with
Dr Robert Butler works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Robert Butler does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Robert Butler does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Robert Butler does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.