- Specialities Cardiology
- Telephone 01782 382507 (Clinic Bookings Team)
- Year of first qualification 1991
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 3540628
- Fax 01782 382500 (Clinic Bookings Team)
Dr Butler was appointed in 2003, and has over ten years experience as a consultant. He works in a major regional cardiac centre in Stoke-on-Trent, where the catchment for tertiary cardiology is nearly 2 million people across Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire. A substantial amount of his workload is treating heart attack patients with angioplasty and closing PFOs for young people who have suffered a stroke.
He graduated from Manchester Medical School, and trained as a cardiologist in Liverpool, Dundee, Leicester and Auckland, New Zealand. Finally, he returned to Stoke as a consultant cardiologist.
He is involved in a number of national committees for British Cardiac Society and the Royal College of Physicians. He is also actively involved in research and the teaching of medical students.
- Weekly Tuesday AM
- Weekly Thursday PM
- Consultant Cardiologist, University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust
- The investigation and management of coronary disease.
- The investigation of heart failure
- The management of high cholesterol and high blood pressure
Dr Butler runs and swims to keep fit, plays touch rugby for fun and helps coach his sons rugby team for penance. He is married, with two children in high school and lives in Hartford.
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Cardiac Interventional Society
- Royal College of Physicians
- American College of Cardiology
Dr Butler has an extensive publication record, over a number of fields of cardiovascular research. His H index (a marker of how important his research has been) is 16, which is high. To view more publications click here.
His top 5 papers are:
- Telomere shortening in atherosclerosis. NJ Samani, R Boultby, R Butler, JR Thompson, AH Goodall. The Lancet 358 (9280), 472-473, 2001.
- Allopurinol improves endothelial dysfunction in chronic heart failure. CAJ Farquharson, R Butler, A Hill, JJF Belch, AD Struthers. Circulation 106 (2), 221-226, 2002
- Allopurinol normalizes endothelial dysfunction in type 2 diabetics with mild hypertension. R Butler, AD Morris, JJF Belch, A Hill, AD Struthers. Hypertension 35 (3), 746-751 2000
- DD angiotensin-converting enzyme gene polymorphism is associated with endothelial dysfunction in normal humans. R Butler, AD Morris, B Burchell, AD Struthers. Hypertension 33 (5), 1164-1168. 1999
- Radial artery anomaly and its influence on transradial coronary procedural outcome. TS Lo, J Nolan, E Fountzopoulos, M Behan, R Butler, SL Hetherington, K ...Heart 95 (5), 410-415 2009.
These five papers have been cited by other scientists.
DeclarationDr Robert Butler works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Robert Butler does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Robert Butler does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Robert Butler does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.