Dr Pericleous is a consultant Gastroenterologist with additional accreditations in in Hepatology (liver disease) and General Internal Medicine. He currently holds a substantive consultant post at Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust.
He read medicine at UCL and Royal Free Medical School in London. Through his training, he gained experience in the management of all aspects of general gastroenterology, nutrition, gastrointestinal cancers, inflammatory bowel disease and hepatology. He also worked as a senior clinical fellow at the ENETS Centre of Excellence of the Royal Free Hospital and has gained experience in the management of neuroendocrine tumours of the digestive tract.
As a higher trainee, he worked at the renowned Sheila Sherlock Liver Centre at the Royal Free hospital, Kings College Hospital and its Liver Intensive Care unit and St. Marys Hospital in Paddington, London. He further developed his hepatology expertise as visiting fellow at Yale- New Haven Liver Centre in USA.
Dr. Pericleous is passionate about research and professional development and studied for a PhD in liver diseases. He has presented his work in various locoregional, national and international meetings. He has authored more than 25 peer-reviewed articles on all aspects of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nutrition and Cancer, and is widely published in high-impact journals, including Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology. He has also authored several book chapters in his field. He is currently the Divisional Research Lead for Access & Medicine of Royal Surrey hospital.
- All forms of liver issues including abnormal liver tests, alcohol liver disease, viral hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, autoimmune liver issues (including primary biliary cholangitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis and autoimmune hepatitis) and metabolic liver disorders, such as haemochromatosis and fatty liver disease.
- Indigestion, heartburn, Gastroesophageal acid Reflux Disease (GORD), hiatus hernia, bloating, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, gastrointestinal bleeding, diagnostic & therapeutic endoscopy and colonoscopy.
- Investigation and diagnosis gastrointestinal cancers, including cancers of the colon, stomach, oesophagus, liver, pancreas, biliary tree as well as rarer forms of cancer, such as neuroendocrine tumours.
Dr Pericleous enjoys travelling and learning new languages. He is a piano and flute player and has performed in several orchestras and ensembles. He owns a small home-recording studio, where he has to date composed music for several events including theatrical plays, amateur short films, advertisements and graduation ceremonies. He is an advanced scuba diver and travelled across the globe to see the underwater sea world. He enjoys swimming, running, cooking and baking.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Marinos Pericleous at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Dr Pericleous studied for a PhD in liver diseases and has presented his work in various national and international meetings. He has authored more than 25 peer-reviewed articles on all aspects of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nutrition and Cancer, and got published in high-impact journals, including Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology. He has also authored several book chapters in his field. He has been involved in the set-up of several clinical trials as Principle and Chief investigator.
Some of his publications can be viewed by clicking on the link below:
- European Association for the study of the Liver (EASL)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD)
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG)
- British Association for the study of the liver (BASL)
- British Viral Hepatitis Group (BVHG)
- British Association for the study of the liver (BASL) special interest group (SIG) in Non-Alchohol Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
- British Association for the study of the liver (BASL) special interest group (SIG) in Hepatocellular (liver) cancer
- British Association for the study of the liver (BASL) special interest group (SIG) in Cirrhosis & Portal Hypertension
- British Medical Association (BMA)
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, Hepatologist and General Physician at The Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Dr Marinos Pericleous works with
Dr Marinos Pericleous works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- CS Healthcare
- Freedom Health
- The Exeter Friendly
Dr Marinos Pericleous does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Marinos Pericleous does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Marinos Pericleous does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.