Dr Manu Nayar
MB BS, MD, MRCP
GMC number: 5192057
Practicing since: 1993
Gastroenterology, General (internal) Medicine
- Weekly Friday 17:00 - 19:00
Or call us on
Dr Nayar was appointed a as consultant at the Freeman Hospital in October 2007. He underwent his gastroenterology specialist training in Liverpool where he developed an interest in therapeutic endoscopy. He pursued his interest in pancreaticobiliary (PB) medicine at the Freeman Hospital which is the regional and one of the biggest PB centres in the country.
Dr Nayar specialises in the management and treatment of all forms of gastroenterological diseases including dyspepsia, inflammatory bowel disease, hepatology and irritable bowel syndrome. Dr Nayar is fully competent in all forms of gastroscopy and colonoscopy. His sub speciality area of interest is diseases of the pancreas and the bile duct and is one of a handful of (<10) PB physicians in the UK who provide medical and endoscopic treatment of the pancreas and the bile duct. These include endoscopic ultrasound, ERCP and other forms of therapeutic endoscopy.
Dr Nayar is the head and training lead for endoscopy at the Freeman Hospital. He is a member of the British Society of Gastroenterology and the Royal College of Physicians and his area of research is in the field of PB medicine and is well published in this area. Dr Nayar gives lectures in various courses/conferences around the country.
gastroenterology & Pancreatobiliary medicine
Yoga, music, digital photography
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Manu Nayar at Nuffield Health
- Thread vein treatment (sclerotherapy)
- Family history screening
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Liver function tests
- Parental and enteral nutrition
- Colorectal screening
- Biliary and renal drainage
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Fine needle biopsy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatogram (or ERCP)
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Locations Dr Manu Nayar works with
Through regular involvement in research Dr Nayar has publications in various peer reviewed and non peer reviewed journals. The main ones include:
- Utility of Quantitative Endoscopic Ultrasound Elastography for the Diagnosis of Pancreatic Malignancy: A Large Single-Centre Experience, M.F. Dawwas, H. Taha, J.S. Leeds, M.N. Nayar, K.W. Oppong. Gastrointest Endosc 2012 Jul 31
- Effect of dedicated and supervised training on achieving competence in EUS-FNA of solid pancreatic lesions, Nayar M, Joy D, Wadehra V, Oppong K. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2011 Jul;46(7-8):997-1003.
- Role of EUS/EUS-guided FNA in the management of proximal biliary strictures, Manu NK, Derek MM, Viney W, Kofi OE. Hepatogastroenterology. 2011 Nov-Dec;58(112):1862-5
- Investigating pancreatobiliary disorders through the use of EUS John Leeds, Diamond Joy, Manu Nayar GIN 2010; 8(6): 43-49
- Experiences of the 1st Newcastle ERCP and EUS course for nurses Manu Nayar, Gillian Nicholson, Heather Gray, Linda Hodgson, GIN 2010 Oct; 8(8): 36-40
Dr Nayar continues to introduce newer techniques which has helped Freeman Hsoptial become the foremost centre for the management of diseases of the pancreas and the bile duct. He also presents regularly at national and international conferences.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Royal College of Physicians
- Pancreatic Society of Great Britian and Ireland
- American Society of GI Endoscopy
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist at the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne
- Pancreatobiliary Medicine at the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr Manu Nayar does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Manu Nayar does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Manu Nayar does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.