Dr Subhani is a Consultant Gastroenterologist with special interest in pancreatic disease, colorectal diseases, hepatology and endoscopy.
Dr Subhani has been a Consultant since 2001. He has developed a variety of services in his NHS practice and these are reflected in his private practice. He has developed and led the Hepatology service at Basildon hospital and has been the clinical lead for Endoscopy from 2005 to 2015 and developed and led the South Essex Bowel cancer screening service from 2007 to 2016.
Dr Subhani runs a Tertiary referral service for complex colonoscopy cases serving the East of England and he has developed an acute pancreatology service in the NHS transforming the care of acute pancreatitis at Basildon Hospital. He also held the role of Director of the Endoscopy and Bowel Cancer Screening Unit and the designated Therapeutic Colonoscopist for the colorectal cancer team.
Dr Subhani completed his basic medical training at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge and his medical registrar training in South West London. He then worked at the Royal Free Hospital, researching the genetic epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease (IBS). He became a consultant in Essex in 2001,
Dr Subhani worked at the Liver Transplant Unit at the Royal Free Hospital and at the National Medical Laser Centre and the Pancreatobiliary Unit at University College Hospital in London.
Dr Subhani specialises in inflammatory bowel disease (IBS) and uses non-invasive tests to differentiate inflammatory from non-inflammatory bowel conditions. He will see patients with reflux, dyspepsia (indigestion and upper abdominal pain), malabsorption, diarrhoea, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and rectal bleeding. He diagnoses and treats a broad range of liver conditions, including those which are genetic, viral, medication and alcohol related.
Dr Subhani will take regional referrals from the East of England for complex colonoscopy. In addition he has a specific interest in previously difficult or uncomfortable endoscopies with a high success rate in both patient acceptability and technical success.
- Hepatology - liver, gallbladder, biliary tree and pancreas
- Complex Endoscopy
- Colonic disease
Photography, travel, fine wines and good company
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Javaid Subhani at Nuffield Health
- Glucose breath test
- Urea Breath Test 13C
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Liver biopsy
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Lactose breath test
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Colonic neoplasia, complex endoscopy and outcomes
1) Siew C. Ng, Susannah Woodrow, Nisha Patel, Javaid Subhani, Marcus Harbord. "The Role of Genetic and Environmental Factors In British Twins with Inflammatory Bowel Disease". Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2012 Apr; 18(4):725-36
2) Melleney EM, Subhani JM, Willoughby CP "Dysphagia referrals to a district general hospital gastroenterology unit: hard to swallow."Dysphagia. 2004 Spring;19(2):78-82.
3)Pazianas M, Butcher GP, Subhani JM, Finch PJ, Ang L, Collins C, Heaney RP, Zaidi M, Maxwell JD.
" Calcium absorption and bone mineral density in celiacs after long term treatment with gluten-free diet and adequate calcium intake." Osteoporos Int. 2005 Jan;16(1):56-63. Epub 2004 Jun 17.
4) Pazianas M, Zaidi M, Subhani JM, Finch PJ, Ang L, Maxwell JD. " Efferent loop small intestinal vitamin D receptor concentration and bone mineral density after Billroth II (Polya) gastrectomy in humans."Calcif Tissue Int. 2003 Apr;72(4):485-90. Epub 2003 Feb 10.
5) Singh P, Khan A, Jasper M, Subhani J." Obscure upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage: haemosuccus pancreaticus."BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Oct 27;2016. pii: bcr2016217350. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-217350
6).Choo WK, Subhani J. "Complication rates of colonic polypectomy in relation to polyp characteristics and techniques: a district hospital experience." J Interv Gastroenterol. 2012 Jan;2(1):8-11. Epub 2012 Jan 1.
- Royal College of Physicians
- American Gastroenterology Association
- British Medical Association
- American Society Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Other post held
- Basildon Thurrock University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust