Dr George I Varughese
FRCPI, FRCP (UK)
GMC number: 4783169
Practicing since: 1997
Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus, General (internal) Medicine
- Wednesday evening
- Saturday morning
- Other times by appointment
Or call us on
Dr Varughese was appointed as Consultant Physician at the UHNS NHS Trust in 2008. He qualified in 1997 and started working in the NHS soon after in 1998. After training as a junior doctor and completing the MRCP examination, his first post as Specialist Registrar in Diabetes and Endocrinology was at Stoke-on-Trent in 2002.
Subsequently, he was accepted on to the West Midlands higher specialist training programme in Diabetes, Endocrinology & General (Internal) Medicine obtaining CCT in 2008 from the JRCPTB. He has been instrumental in service development of various sub-specialist areas in Diabetes and Endocrinology at UHNM and has collaborated with other regional centres.
He received the prestigious Nye Bevan NHS Executive Healthcare Leadership award (NHS Leadership Academy) in 2016. A significant proportion of his outpatient workload involves treating patients with Diabetes and Endocrine disorders and in conjunction he also looks after inpatients in General (Internal) Medicine.
Dr Varughese treats adult patients with adrenal, thyroid, parathyroid, pituitary dysfunction (including Addison’s disease, Cushing’s disease, Grave’s disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis), and metabolic disorders related to sodium and calcium electrolyte imbalance as well as Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus focusing on microvascular and macrovascular complications to enhance cardiovascular risk reduction strategies.
- Diabetes Mellitus: Type 1, Type 2, other causes
- General Medicine: Multi-system pathology
- Endocrinology: Adrenal, Thyroid, Parathyroid, Pituitary dysfunction and Electrolyte imbalance
Dr Varughese is also involved with Keele undergraduate medical student teaching and postgraduate medical training. He is a Royal College of Physicians examiner and SWG faculty member for the MRCP PACES clinical exams.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr George I Varughese at Nuffield Health
Locations Dr George I Varughese works with
Dr Varughese has an extensive publication record – selected PubMed listed indexed journal articles:
- Can a baseline morning cortisol predict outcome of short Synacthen test in an endocrine unit in an outpatient setting - Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2015 Feb;82(2):309-11.
- The impact of improved glycaemic control with GLP-1 receptor agonist therapy on diabetic retinopathy - Diab Res Clin Pract 2014 Mar;103(3):p37-9
- Effects of blood pressure on the prothrombotic risk in 1235 patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation - Heart 2007 Apr;93(4):495-9
- Prognostic value of plasma soluble P-selectin and von Willebrand factor as indices of platelet activation and endothelial damage/dysfunction in high risk patients with hypertension - J Intern Med 2007 Apr;261(4):384-91
- The prothrombotic risk of diabetes mellitus in atrial fibrillation and heart failure - J Thromb Haemost 2005 Dec;3(12):2811-3
- Cushing’s disease: Establishing the Diagnosis and Management Approach - J Assoc Phys In 2013 Apr;61:278-80
- Random serum cortisol levels and short synacthen testing - Int J Clin Pract 2010 Jan;64(1):124-6
- Carbimazole therapy in the setting of end-stage renal disease and haemodialysis - Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006 Aug;21(8):2318-9
- Caveats in treating thyroid disease: practical implications - J R Soc Med 2006 Nov;99(11):582-3
- The challenges of emerging adulthood – transition from paediatric to adult diabetes - World J Diab 2014 Oct 15;5(5):630-5
- Society for Endocrinology
- Diabetes UK
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
- Royal College of Physicians of London
Other posts held
- Consultant Physician in Diabetes & Endocrinology and General (Internal) Medicine at Royal Stoke University Hospital
Insurers Dr George I Varughese works with
Dr George I Varughese works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Westfield Health WPA
- Aviva Health
Dr George I Varughese does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr George I Varughese does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr George I Varughese does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.