Dr Pyne is Head of Rheumatology and Clinical Lead for Sports for Barts and Royal London Hospital.
Dr Pyne graduated from Cambridge University (preclinical) and Barts and The Royal London Medical School (clinical) with Distinction. He undertook his junior doctor training in London and gained his consultant CCST qualifications in both Rheumatology and General Medicine in 2004. He has extensive experience in dealing with general rheumatological problems including Spinal pain, Arthritis, Tendinopathy, Gout, Osteoporosis and Fibromyalgia.
He currently leads the 2nd largest Rheumatology NHS service in the country as the Head of Rheumatology at Barts Health for Barts, Royal London, Newham and Mile End Hospitals. He is also the lead for the Multidiscplinary Sports Clinic at The Royal London and also runs the largest sub-speciality clinic in Lupus in East London/Essex.
He has set up multidisciplinary services involving consultant colleagues, physiotherapists, psychologists, podiatrists and radiologists to ensure comprehensive management.
His further training includes certification in acupuncture by the British Medical Acupuncture Society since 2001. He has had specialist cadaveric joint/tendon Injection training at the Institute of Anatomy in Munich, runs injection clinics, and since 2007 has been training Doctors and Health Professionals in injections techniques. He is an elected member of the European College of Sports and Exercise Physicians. He is Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of London for Sports Medicine and an examiner for the MsC in Sports Medicine.
Dr Pyne’s research interests are in Sports Injuries and Lupus, investigating safety and effectiveness of new treatments in both areas. His publications have appeared in leading medical journals including Rheumatology, British Journal of Sports Medicine and the BMJ. He has also contributed the rheumatology content to the international medical student textbook ‘Medical Management and Therapeutics’ by Kumar and Clark and been a Guest Editor for the British Association of Sports and Exercise Medicine.
- General rheumatology (joint, muscle and tendon problems)
- Sports injuries
- Soft tissue injuries (for example tennis and golfers elbow elbow, achilles injuries, frozen shoulder (rotator cuff), plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis
- Back pain
- Pain management injections and acupuncture
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Debasish (Dev) Pyne at Nuffield Health
- Image guided joint injections
- British Society of Rheumatology
- European College of Sports and Exercise Physicians
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Medical Acupuncture Society
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Rheumatologist, The Royal London Hospital (Barts Health NHS Trust)