David Lockington has been a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, Glasgow, since January 2014, with sub-specialist training in Cornea, Cataract and Anterior Segment. Following 2 years of SHO training in the Northern Ireland ophthalmic rotation, he moved to Glasgow in 2007 for his Registrar ophthalmology training throughout the West of Scotland. From 2012-13 he undertook an advanced Cornea and Anterior Segment fellowship with Professor Charles McGhee at the University of Auckland in New Zealand, where he remains an honorary clinical senior lecturer.
He has an active interest in research and teaching, having now achieved nearly 70 peer-reviewed publications despite having always been in full-time clinical training, and has received 7 awards for his research and multiple oral presentations. He recently graduated from the 2017-19 European Society of Ophthalmology’s Leadership Development programme as the UK representative, and used these skills to coordinate a renovation project to create a bespoke “Teach and Train Hub” for ophthalmic trainees at the Tennent Institute.
David is actively involved in cataract and corneal teaching as an invited speaker and trainer at national and international meetings.
While referrals from GPs or optometrists are preferred, Dr Lockington is happy to see self-referrals too.
Dr Lockington sees self-pay patients in addition to insured patients as listed below.
- General Ophthalmic Surgeon with sub-specialty interests in Cornea, Cataract and Anterior Segment, including:
- Cataract surgery (including premium IOLs, toric IOLs, mini-monovision)
- Complex cataract surgery, including secondary IOL placement following complicated surgeries and Anterior Segment reconstruction
- Corneal Transplantation (PK, DALK, DSAEK, DMEK)
- Minor lid procedures including chalazion removal
- General Ophthalmology
- Yag Laser Capsulotomy for capsule opacification
through playing sport, attending sporting events, concerts and travel.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr David Lockington at Nuffield Health
- Cataract surgery
Improving cataract surgery outcomes
Dry eye and blepharitis management
Corneal transplantational techniques
- Member and on the national council for UK & Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
- Member of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- Member with Thesis of The Cornea Society
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Faculty member and lecturer on corneal module for European School of Advanced Studies in Ophthalmology (ESASO)
- Member of British Medical Association (BMA)
Other post held
- Consultant Ophthalmologist – Gartnavel, Stobhill and Glasgow Royal, Glasgow
Insurers Dr David Lockington works with
Dr David Lockington works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Dr David Lockington does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr David Lockington does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr David Lockington does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.