Dr Tonucci is a Consultant in Chronic Pain and Anaesthesia at the Royal Surrey County Hospital and the clinical lead for the chronic pain service - an excellent post that she hopes to continue to develop. She works in chronic pain provides a comprehensive interventional pain service for cancer and chronic pain patients.
Dr Tonucci graduated from Bristol University in 1995. Before embarking on a career in anaesthesia and pain medicine she gained valuable experience in general medicine and paediatrics, including a year in Sydney Australia specialising in anaesthesia and intensive care medicine.
In 2001, she began specialist training in anaesthesia at the Bristol School of Anaesthesia. She undertook structured pain training at the Royal United Hospital, Bath and continued advanced pain training with a senior fellowship at the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London.
She gained a Fellowship of the Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
Dr Tonucci has an interest in neuromodulation which includes Peripheral Electrical Nerve Stimulation(PENS) and Radiofrequency Denervation of lumbar facets and sacroiliac joints. She has been involved with a primary care trust developing guidelines for the treatment of neuropathic pain, working closely with local GPs.
She is also an anaesthetist and has regular anaesthesia sessions to maintain her skill-set.
- Neuropathic pain
- Pain-relieving injections
- Cancer pain
- PENS therapy
Dr Tonucci is married with 3 young children. She is a keen runner and enjoys all types of sport, especially outdoors running. She regularly competes in local running events. She also enjoys playing tennis and swimming. She has grade 8 violin and grade 7 piano which she still plays.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Daniela Tonucci at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar sympathetic blocks
- Trigger Point Injections
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Facet joint injections
- Propofol blood levels, clinical sedation scores and electrophysiological variables in children emerging from propofol infusion anaesthesia, Paediatric Anaesthesia, 2004 14(2):143-151 D M Murray, D Tonucci, S B Grimes, G C Thorne, M A Tooley, A R Wolf.
- D.Tonucci, A small prospective case series to look at the effectiveness of Percutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (PENS) therapy in reducing allodynia in chronic neuropathic pain, Royal Surrey County Hospital Department of Pain, Presented to British Pain Society 2011.
- S.Kandikattu1, B.Ramasamy, D.Tonucci, M.Nagaratnam, April 2010, Taking the Pain out of Pain Training: An Initiative in high quality training, Advanced Pain Trainees Royal Marsden Hospital, Hillingdon Hospital and Imperial College, Poster session at the British Pain Society 2010
- Tonucci D, Nagaratnam M., March 2009, A retrospective assessment of all patients undergoing suprascapular pulsed radio-frequency treatment over a 5 month period at Imperial NHS Trust, Poster Session at World Institute of Pain, 5th International Congress, New York.
- Dr D.Tonucci , Dr M. Nagaratnum , Dr J. Shepherd , Dr C. Urch, April 2009, Topical Lidocaine 5% patch for post - thoracic surgery neuropathic pain, A prospective audit over a 5 month period at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Poster session at the British Pain Society 2009
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- British Pain Society
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant in Pain Medicine and Anaesthesia, Royal Surrey County Hospital
Dr Daniela Tonucci does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Daniela Tonucci does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Daniela Tonucci does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.