Dr. Ben Disney is a Consultant Gastroenterologist at University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust, with a passion for understanding and treating luminal GI disorders. He is clinical lead for Inflammatory Bowel Disease and an accredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopist specialising in both diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy. Prior to studying medicine he graduated in Pharmacology with a 1st Class Honours at Liverpool University. After completing his medical degree at Warwick Medical School, he completed higher specialty training in Gastroenterology in the West Midlands deanery. During this time he was awarded an MD from the University of Birmingham for research into gastrointestinal bleeding.
He is actively involved in endoscopy training and is a trainer on JAG accredited OGD and colonoscopy courses. He is also involved in both regional (Midlands Gastroenterological Society) and national (British Society of Gastroenterology) committees.
He maintains an active interest in research and is currently the primary investigator for a number of studies in areas such as inflammatory bowel disease and endoscopy. Recent work has been presented at national meetings and has been published in medical journals.
Luminal GI disorders – gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), swallowing issues (dysphagia), coeliac disease, iron deficiency anaemia, irritable bowel disease (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD – Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease), Constipation and disorders of the gut-brain interaction (DGBI).
Outside of medicine Ben is a dedicated husband and father with a keen interest in running and swimming.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Ben Disney at Nuffield Health
- Colorectal screening
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Actively involved in research as primary investigator in IBD and endoscopy related clinical trials. Published >30 articles related to Gastroenterology in peer reviewed journals including national guidelines on sustainability in endoscopy. Currently involved with the Food and Function Clinical Research Group at the BSG.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Fellow of the European Board of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, UHCW NHS Trust
- Honorary Secretary of the Midlands Gastroenterological Society
- British Society of Gastroenterology Committee Member (Neurogastroenterology and Motility Section, Clinical Services and Standards Section, Food and Function Clinical Research Group)
- Board Member of the Bowel Interest Group
Insurers Dr Ben Disney works with
Dr Ben Disney works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Ben Disney does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Ben Disney does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Ben Disney does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.