Dr Butt is a highly experienced Paediatrician who has developed expertise in Gastroenterology and Nutrition over a 15 year period as a consultant in the region.
The university practice he leads is based at the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital, but spans a broader Sussex wide area for families seeking expert opinion.
He has benefited from specialist training in recognised centres of national and international repute both in the U.K (Great Ormond Street) and Canada (Sick Kids, Toronto).
Dr Butt has acquired a wealth of expertise and broad experience in managing general and complex gastro-intestinal and nutritional problems including:
• Symptoms - Abdominal pain / Diarrhoea / Vomiting / GI bleeding / Constipation / Weight loss / poor weight gain / Nutritional deficiencies e.g. Iron
• Conditions: Crohn’s / Ulcerative colitis / Coeliac disease & enteropathies / Gastro-oesophageal reflux / Peptic ulcer / Food intolerances / Eosinophilic disease / Functional GI disease e.g. IBS
• Procedures & Investigations: Diagnostic & therapeutic upper and lower GI endoscopy / 24 h pH/impedance / Breath Hydrogen tests
He is an excellent listener and acknowledges the importance of holistic, patient-centred approach by fully engaging with children and their families in collaborative decision making for the best possible outcomes.
Professional Interests (200 words maximum): Dr Butt maintains a keen interest and active participation in under- and post- graduate education and training of doctors and nurses he supervises.
He enjoys the stimulation of academic activities, such as; attendance at national and international conferences (e.g. European ESPGHAN); participation in peer review of Journal articles (e.g. Archives of Disease in Childhood) and contribution in writing book chapters in international reference text book (e.g. ‘Pancreatic tumors’ in Walkers Pediatric Gastrointestinal disease.)
- BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS and MEDICAL SCHOOL Brighton, U.K. The Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital.
Dr Butt has made invaluable contributions to children’s health within his speciality nationally, as an expert opinion leader.
Working group membership, expert advisory and committee experience:
• National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE), UK Ulcerative Colitis guideline development group – expert Paediatric adviser and co-author of published guideline and surveillance reviews (2012 – 2015), ongoing advisory role, clinical evidence surveillance.
• Coeliac UK and British Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (BSPGHAN). Joint working group – member guideline development group and co-author of published guideline (2012 – ongoing).
• Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman – governmental expert adviser for case based Gastroenterology related clinical complaints arising within the UK (2014 - ongoing).
Dr Butt has maintained a keen interest and actively participated in developing a research focus with successful participation in a number of collaborative projects.
Specific areas of research interest include; non-IgE mediated food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, nutritional support and non-invasive 13C breath tests to assess lipid digestion and absorption.
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) – Founder member 1996
- British Medical Association (BMA)
Principle lead local investigator for two Multicentre, National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) studies, provided invaluable insight into the organisation of national and international studies; previous experience has been with smaller local and regional studies.
• ASSIGN - An exploratory, randomized, double-blind, controlled study. A symbiotic-containing amino acid-based formula improves gut microbiota in non-IgE-mediated allergic infants. David C Candy, Assad M Butt, MD et al Pediatr. Res. 2017 Dec 6. doi: 10.1038/pr.2017.270
• PANTS - Personalized anti- TNF therapy in crohn’s; multicentre, pragmatic ‘ real life’ observational study of the management of anti – TNF therapy including therapeutic drug and antibody level monitoring to guide treatment. Clinical Factors that determine Primary non-response (PNR) to Anti- TNF Drugs in Patients with Active Luminal Crohn’s Disease (CD). G. A. Heap, T. Ahmad on behalf of PANTS Consortium (incl. A M Butt) BSG, British Society of Gastroenterology, Annual meeting, Liverpool, U.K. Jun 2016
DeclarationDr Assad Butt works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Aviva Health
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health
Dr Assad Butt does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Assad Butt does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Assad Butt does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.