Dr Assad Butt is a leading UK specialist in paediatric gastroenterology and nutrition based in London and the South East with over 20 years of experience as a consultant. He successfully pioneered the development of a new specialist service in Brighton and lead its subsequent transformation to a regional tertiary centre. His practice now attracts patients from throughout the region, seeking the best quality evidence-based opinions and treatments.
Dr Butt qualified from Charing Cross & Westminster Medical School (University of London) in 1987, He completed his early training in various London teaching hospitals. Developing an interest in gastroenterology, he undertook specialist training at a number of renowned medical centres of excellence both in the UK (Great Ormond Street and Royal Free Hospitals, London) and in Canada (Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto). This included a clinical research fellowship in paediatric gastroenterology at the Royal Free Hospital and a paediatric gastroenterology and nutrition postgraduate fellowship training programme at the University of Toronto, before being appointed to his UK consultant post in 2002.
Dr Butt is a good listener and frank speaker, knowing the importance of engaging fully with the children, young people and families he sees, in a patient-centred practice. He works closely with like-minded multidisciplinary colleagues with emphasis on teamwork and the use of best practices to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients.
General and complex gastrointestinal and nutritional problems are managed including:
- Symptoms - Abdominal pain / Diarrhoea / Vomiting / GI bleeding / Constipation / Weight loss / poor weight gain / Nutritional deficiencies e.g. Iron
- Conditions: Crohn’s / Ulcerative colitis / Coeliac disease & enteropathies / Gastro-oesophageal reflux / Peptic ulcer / Food intolerances / Eosinophilic disease / Functional GI disease e.g. IBS
- Procedures & Investigations: Diagnostic & therapeutic upper and lower GI endoscopy / 24 h pH/impedance / Breath Hydrogen tests
Dr Butt has made invaluable contributions to children’s health within his speciality nationally, as an expert opinion leader. This has included, Working group membership, expert advisory and committee experience
e.g’s. National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE), UK Ulcerative Colitis guideline development group; Coeliac UK and British Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (BSPGHAN); Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman
Dr Butt maintains a keen interest under- and post- graduate education and training. He enjoys academic activities, such as; attendance at national and international conferences; participation in peer review of Journal articles; contribution in writing book chapters in international reference text book. Research areas of interest include; non-IgE mediated food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, nutritional support and non-invasive 13C breath tests to assess lipid digestion and absorption.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Assad Butt at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Principle lead local investigator for two Multicentre, National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) studies, provided invaluable insight into the organisation of national and international studies; previous experience has been with smaller local and regional studies.
• ASSIGN - An exploratory, randomized, double-blind, controlled study. A symbiotic-containing amino acid-based formula improves gut microbiota in non-IgE-mediated allergic infants. David C Candy, Assad M Butt, MD et al Pediatr. Res. 2017 Dec 6. doi: 10.1038/pr.2017.270
• PANTS - Personalized anti- TNF therapy in crohn’s; multicentre, pragmatic ‘ real life’ observational study of the management of anti – TNF therapy including therapeutic drug and antibody level monitoring to guide treatment. Clinical Factors that determine Primary non-response (PNR) to Anti- TNF Drugs in Patients with Active Luminal Crohn’s Disease (CD). G. A. Heap, T. Ahmad on behalf of PANTS Consortium (incl. A M Butt) BSG, British Society of Gastroenterology, Annual meeting, Liverpool, U.K. Jun 2016
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) – Founder member 1996
- British Medical Association (BMA)
Other posts held
- BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS and MEDICAL SCHOOL Brighton, U.K. The Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital.
Insurers Dr Assad Butt works with
Dr Assad Butt works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Aviva Health
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Assad Butt does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Assad Butt does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Assad Butt does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.