Dr Jaafar was appointed as a consultant in geriatrics and General Internal Medicine at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in February 2009. He underwent his specialist training in the northern deanery whereby he developed a special interest in frailty and malnutrition in the elderly. He pursued his speciality interests in the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals a major tertiary centre in the region and the country.
Dr Jaafar works in the Falls and Syncope Unit at the Royal Victoria Infirmary which is one of the largest in Europe. He is an experienced physician in the management of patients with falls, dizziness and blackouts. In addition, he also subspecialises in the field of Orthogeriatrics (the medical care and rehabilitation of patients who suffer fragility fractures). He has extensive experience of dealing with general and acute medical problems and has held various educational and non-clinical roles including Royal College of Physician tutor, Associate Clinical Lecturer at Newcastle University and being the named doctor for Adult Safeguarding for the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals. He has worked on some national guidelines with National Institute for Clinical Excellence NICE and has published in areas of frailty/nutrition and falls.
- Malnutrition in older people
I enjoy having time out with my wife and 3 girls, walking, travelling and dining.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Ahmed F Jaafar at Nuffield Health
- Fatigue screen
- Blood test
- Core biochemistry screens
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Haematology profiles
- Osteoporosis screen
- Wellness screening
- Dementia and delirium screening
- Liver function tests
Dr Jaafar has participated in various presentations through his work and had been a co-author of several publications and national guidelines. Some of which include:
- Pneumonia: Diagnosis and management of community and hospital acquired pneumonia in adults. NICE guideline (CG 191), Dec 2014. Guidance.nice.org.uk/cg191
- An update on frailty diagnosis and management. Andrew JB Dean, Ahmed F Jaafar, Reviews in Clinical gerontology 2013, 23, 196-205
- The longest pause. Iain G Matthews, Michael Norton, Ahmed F Jaafar, Heart 2013;99: 670-671
- A cross-sectional study of the nutritional status of community-dwelling people with idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. Jaafar A, Gray W, Porter B, Turnbull E, Walker R. BMC Neurology 2010, 10:124
- Assessing the impact of the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool (MUST) in identifying malnourished patients. Crosbie J, Jaafar A, Hawkyard C, Lapworth K, Davidson B, Thompson N. CME Journal Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition 2008 9;66-69
- Frailty-a clinical overview. Jaafar A, Heycock R, George J. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 2007 17; 171-175
- British Geriatrics Society
- National Institute of Clinical Excellence expert group
Other posts held
- Consultant Physician at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Ahmed F Jaafar works with
Dr Ahmed F Jaafar works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Benenden Health
Dr Ahmed F Jaafar does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Ahmed F Jaafar does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Ahmed F Jaafar does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.