Cervical smear testing in Tunbridge Wells
If you are aged between 24 and 64 years of age, our experienced gynaecologists in Tunbridge Wells can provide rapid access to a diagnostic smear test with quick and reliable results. Read more…
Contact our women's health experts in Tunbridge Wells
Email us or request a call back
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
Why choose Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital for your cervical smear test?
If you are a woman and aged between 24 and 64 years we recommend you undertake regular smear testing. At Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital, our experienced women's health experts can provide rapid access to cervical smear testing. Having a smear test can provide the reassurance you need or detect any abnormalities in your cervix that may be of concern.
Like any diagnostic procedure, detecting any cell irregularities early can greatly increase your chances of surviving a developing cancer. Don't worry though, unusual results are often nothing to worry about and on average 1 out of 20 tests show mild changes.
An abnormal result rarely means that cancer has developed. Our expert consultant gynaecologists in Tunbridge Wells understand your concerns around receiving non-typical results. They will conduct a thorough examination and advise you if any follow-up procedures are needed.
What happens during a cervical smear test?
- A cervical smear tests takes approximately 5 minutes to perform
- A speculum is inserted in your vagina to gently hold it open
- A nurse or doctor will use a small brush to take a sample of some cells on your cervix
- This sample will be sent to a laboratory for examination under a microscope
- At Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital we use liquid based cytology for our cervical smear tests
- This has several advantages over the traditional smear test as there is a reduction in inadequate rates (insufficient material to analyse accurately) – a considerable benefit in reducing the need for repeat smears
- All smears are double-read in our laboratory.
If you are interested in booking a smear test at Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells, feel free to call our women's health experts who can provide you with additional information and appointment availability.
Huge numbers of young women in the UK are still frequently missing smear tests, despite the fact that cervical cancer is the most common cancer in women under the age of 35*. Research** shows that 38 per cent of women between the ages of 25-29 failed to make a cervical screening appointment when invited by their GP.