Weight loss surgery (Bariatrics) in Newcastle
Our weight loss surgery clinic in Newcastle upon Tyne can advise on a range of different types of weight loss surgery, establishing whether you are a suitable candidate for a bariatric procedure. Read more…
Contact our weight loss surgery experts in Newcastle
Fill in a contact form, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
Why choose Nuffield Health Newcastle Hospital for your weight loss surgery?
Our patients can expect the full support of our multi-disciplined team including:
- Renowned bariatric surgeon Mr Sean Woodcock
- Dedicated support nurses
- Dieticians and psychologists
- A thorough aftercare package
- An option to pay for your treatment with an interest free loan.
Our unique approach to weight loss
Individual treatment is key to our philosophy and with us you will meet your consultant (who will perform the surgery) at the very beginning of your weight loss journey. By getting to know you as a person, how we can best support you and help with the highs (and lows), we will ultimately get the best possible patient outcome.
We will discuss all the different weight loss options available to you and, if required, how to prepare for the surgery itself. Our dedicated team will be on hand to offer expert advice and support both before and after treatment.
Our dedicated centre of excellence - The Jesmond Centre
At Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital we have The Jesmond Centre, a dedicated centre for cosmetic and weight loss surgery. Here you will be looked after by a qualified surgeon from your initial consultation right through to your discharge.
All weight loss procedures are carried out on-site because our consultants are all local and work within local NHS Hospitals. Rest assured they are all registered with the General Medical Council and are members of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society.
Why is obesity such a concern?
Obesity is a time bomb and The World Health Organisation envisage that obesity will become a significant global problem and lead to premature death due to its association with serious chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidaemia, which are all major risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
Weight loss surgery has been proven to be most effective and you can look forward to a boost in confidence and other very positive lifestyle changes. We offer regular opportunities to find out more about weight loss surgery at our open events. Please call 0191 281 6131 for details of the next event.
Some of the weight loss treatments provided at Nuffield Health Newcastle Hospital include:
- Gastric banding is a highly effective weight loss surgical procedure
- The band limits how much food you are able to eat
- Also known as lap banding, the operation helps overweight people achieve substantial and long-term weight loss
- You may be eligible for surgery if your BMI (body mass index) is over 40, or if it is over 35 and you have other medical conditions
- To reduce your risk of complications you may be asked to lose weight before surgery, our dietician will be able to advise.
Read more about gastric banding.
- Gastric bypass surgery (most commonly classed the Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass) is a type of weight loss that works by making your stomach smaller and bypassing part of the digestive system
- This means that you can only eat small meals and your body absorbs less food.
Read more about gastric bypasses.
- A gastric balloon is a non-surgical, non-pharmaceutical tool used in the treatment of obesity
- In conjunction with a supervised diet it can help you achieve the health and aesthetic benefits associated with weight loss
- The balloon system consists of a soft, expandable balloon, a placement tube and a filling system
- The surgeon inserts the balloon orally and then expands it with sterile saline fluid, once it is placed in your stomach
- When full, the balloon is too large to pass into the bowel and will now float freely in your stomach.
Read more about gastric balloons.
- Liposuction is commonly used to treat patients who are near normal weight and have firm elastic skin
- It is not a substitution for weight loss
- Liposuction can be performed on many areas of the body.
Read more about liposuction.