Intralesional collagenase injection therapy in Leeds
At Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital, our consultant urologists perform this non-surgical, minimally invasive technique for men with Peyronie’s Disease. It involves injecting a medical substance called collagenase directly into the scar tissue that is causing the penile curvature. Read more…
Contact our experts in Leeds
Email us or request a call back
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Why choose Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital for Intralesional collagenase injection therapy?
Our state-of-the-art hospital is the only private hospital in the north of England to offer the latest surgical and non-surgical treatments for men with Peyronie's Disease.
At our dedicated clinic, you'll get rapid access to our highly experienced team who will ensure you get the right treatment for you. Benefits of treatment in Leeds include:
- End-to-end care from your dedicated consultant
- Fixed all-inclusive treatment prices*
- No waiting lists
- "Outstanding" rating from the health care regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
- Complimentary patient collection and drop off service for insured and self-paying patients. Find out more >.
What does Intralesional collagenase injection therapy involve?
The procedure is performed in the outpatient setting. You will need an initial consultation to assess the degree of curvature and point of maximum curvature. An injection to create an erection is given to you to enable the consultant to perform the measurements.
Two further outpatient appointments are made for you within 7 days of each other. You will receive an injection of Collagenase into the scar tissue at each of these appointments. The consultant will need to stretch your penis manually and based on his previous measurements and feeling for the scar, he will inject directly into the scar tissue.
How long does the procedure take?
The procedure generally takes under 15 minutes to perform at each appointment.
Going home and recovery
- You will experience some discomfort, swelling and bruising for up to a week after each injection.
- Simple painkillers can be taken once you are home.
- The consultant will apply a pressure bandage to your penis which needs to be kept in place for approximately 6 hours post injection.
- Try to elevate your penis with padding or gauze to help alleviate swelling and bruising.
- You should abstain from sexual penetrative intercourse for six weeks. Having erections during this time is advised though.
- The consultant/nurse will advise you on how to use the vacuum device therapy following your second injection.
- You may drive yourself home. Alternatively, book our patient pick up and drop off car service.
How long will it take to heal?
After your first collagenase injection, swelling and bruising may vary from person to person. Usually following the second injection of collagenase, you may find the bruising is apparent for up to a week.
When will I notice results?
Some men have reported seeing results with in the first few weeks of the therapy. Should the results be a remarkable improvement, you will be advised to continue with vacuum therapy to maintain results. For the majority of men choosing this therapy, up to three courses of treatment may be needed to achieve the desired result. Should a man not respond at all to the therapy, then surgery will be offered to him.
What are the risks of intralesional collagenase therapy?
There are some minor risks associated with this procedure.
More common minor risks include:
- A small collection of blood under the skin at the injection site (hematoma)
- Swelling at the injection site or along your penis
- Pain or tenderness at the injection site, along your penis and above your penis
- Penis bruising
- Itching of your penis or scrotum (genitals)
- Painful erection
Less common minor risks include:
- Erection problems (erectile dysfunction)
- Changes in the colour of the skin of your penis
- Blisters at the injection site
- Pain with sex
- A lump at the injection site (nodule)
- Future recurrence of the condition
Your consultant will discuss all the risks with you during your consultation.
Making the right decision
So that you know exactly what to expect from the results of this therapy, we encourage you to share your expectations with your consultant as early as possible. This should help you to establish a clear indication of what is realistically achievable with this procedure.
We will never pressure you to make a decision. To give yourself time to decide what’s right for you, we recommend you leave at least 2 weeks between your consultation and booking your surgery in Leeds.
*This Nuffield Health Price Promise is not applicable to this treatment