This type of knee replacement uses robotic-arm assisted technology for greater accuracy. Use of this technology has been shown to result in shorter hospital stays, smoother recovery and increased satisfaction.
How does MakoTM robotic-arm assisted surgery for knee replacement work?
In the weeks before your operation, our robotic arm, processes the information taken from a 3D CT scan of your body. Your consultant then plans the operation to within fractions of a millimetre with the help of the Robotic-arm assisted technology.
Your consultant is always in control during the operation. The robotic-arm assisted technology allows the consultant to perform the joint replacement with pinpoint accuracy. The consultant uses the technology as an extension of his or herself, guiding surgical tools to the correct position. The robotic-arm assisted technology does not perform the surgery on its own.
Recovery after surgery using Robotic-arm assisted technology
Higher accuracy means the replacement fits as well as it possibly can and ensures the joint functions as normally as possible after surgery.
It's been shown to result in a shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery and higher satisfaction. There's also strong evidence of decreased pain and fewer complications following surgery.
Who is robotic-arm surgery suitable for?
Robotic arm surgery may not be appropriate for all patients. Your consultant will advise you on the best treatments for your condition.
Why might I need a knee replacement?
- Over time, the surfaces on the knee joint can start to wear.
- This can be caused by osteoarthritis or a previous injury to the knee, (often a sporting injury).
- Osteoarthritis can become painful as joints become stiff and inflamed when the smooth lining between the joints gets damaged or wears away.
- Without the protection of this lining, the rough surfaces of your bones rub together as you move, causing pain.
- Simple, everyday tasks such as going for a walk or even getting dressed can become difficult and cause discomfort.
- There’s no cure for osteoarthritis and it can get worse with time.
- However, joints can be replaced successfully, improving both mobility and reducing pain.
Wonford Road, Exeter, EX2 4UG
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more