We've invested in new advancements in orthopaedic surgery. Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital is the only hospital in Cambridge to offer robotic-arm assisted surgery for total hip replacement.
Why have hip replacement using the MakoTM robotic-arm assisted surgery system?
The Mako Robotic system supports the consultant throughout orthopaedic surgery. Robotic Arm Assisted surgery for a total hip replacement has been shown to be more accurate 1 and to offer a greater improvement in patient function 2 when compared to manual surgery.
How does MakoTM robotic-arm assisted surgery work?
In the weeks before your operation, our robotic arm processes the information taken from a 3D CT scan of your body. Your consultant then plans the operation to within fractions of a millimetre with the help of the robotic-arm assisted technology.
Your consultant is always in control during the operation. The robotic-arm assisted technology allows the consultant to perform the joint replacement with pinpoint accuracy. The consultant uses the technology as an extension of his or herself, guiding surgical tools to the correct position. The robotic-arm assisted technology does not perform the surgery on its own.
Who is robotic-arm surgery suitable for?
Robotic arm surgery may not be appropriate for all patients. Your consultant will advise you on the best treatments for your condition.
Why choose Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital for your hip replacement using robotic-arm assisted technology?
At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital we treat every patient as an individual, offering bespoke care. Recovery from hip replacement surgery will require support, so as part of your treatment package, you'll have access to a Nuffield Health physiotherapist at hospital and our recovery plus programme at your local Nuffield Health gym.
Your experienced orthopaedic consultant here in Cambridge will support and guide you from your initial consultation through to your full recovery. You'll stay in your own private room with en-suite facilities during your time in hospital. We'll do everything we can to make sure your treatment is as smooth and efficient as possible.
If you're suffering from hip pain and think you're suitable for hip replacement surgery, please contact us today to discuss your options.
Why might I need a hip replacement?
- Over time, the surfaces on the hip joint can start to wear.
- This can be caused by osteoarthritis or a previous injury to the hip, (often a sporting injury).
- Osteoarthritis can become painful as joints become stiff and inflamed when the smooth lining between the joints gets damaged or wears away.
- Without the protection of this lining, the rough surfaces of your bones rub together as you move, causing pain.
- Simple, everyday tasks such as going for a walk or even getting dressed can become difficult and cause discomfort.
- There’s no cure for osteoarthritis and it can get worse with time.
- However, joints can be replaced successfully, improving both mobility and reducing pain.
1. Domb BG, El Bitar YF, Sadik BS, Stake CE, Botser IB Comparison of Robotic-assisted and Conventional Acetabular Cup Placement in THA: A Matched pair controlled Study Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Jan;472(1):329-36.
2. Bukowski B.R, Chughtai M, Anderson P. et al. Improved functional outcomes with robotic compared with manual total hip arthroplasty. Surg Technol Int. 2016 Oct.
3. Illgen R. Robotic-assisted total hip arthroplasty improves accuracy and clinical outcome compared with manual technique. 44th Annual Advances in Arthroplasty Course. October 7-10, 2014, Cambridge, MA.
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more