Welcome to our Big Learners Bridge Room in Tunbridge Wells
Our Big Learners Bridge Room provides first class day care for children aged 2 years - 5 years.
In our Big Learners Bridge Room the children are aged between 2 and 5 years. Often the children will have moved up from our Little Learners Lane Room, which caters for children aged 3 months to 2 years and so are already familiar with their surroundings.
At Big Learners Bridge Room we encourage the children to be independent; enjoying, learning and exploring the environment around them. They will begin to develop new interests and skills through activities such as music, expressive arts, design and computing. The children can also start swimming lessons at our accompanying gym during term time.
The learning environment for 2 to 5 years
The learning environment creates opportunities for children to develop basic and complex skills and to practice them through a variety of activities. The play environment is very much child led and children are encouraged to select toys and activities freely.
All children are encouraged to respect the learning environment and to keep it safe, clean and tidy. Children help to put toys away after play sessions and before lunch and are encouraged to feel a part of the decision making process regarding their play, this helps to encourage self-choice, independence and also allows children to embrace their individual interests, likes and dislikes.
Children need to enter school with all the skills and desire to think for themselves, focus on their responsibilities, solve problems, work with others, communicate and gain an increasing understanding of the world and how it works. We can achieve this with the environment and staff here at Nuffy Bear Day Nursery, Tunbridge wells.
The room is:
- Large and spacious, designed with 2 - 5 year olds in mind
- Equipment and resources that promote discovery as well as encourage development and sustain curiosity
- A cosy area for children to rest and nap if needed\Toilet and wash rooms within access of the classroom
- Direct access to the garden
The nursery here in Tunbridge Wells operates a keyperson scheme. The scheme ensures that every child has a named keyworker who will be responsible for the planning and observation of your child’s learning whilst with us.
Before your child joins us we offer a settling in period. During these trial sessions you and your child come and meet our staff and the other children, becoming familiar with the surroundings. If you need more time settling in we're happy to oblige.
These trial sessions are the ideal time to discuss your child's routine, likes and dislikes and to enable us to discuss the care routine for your child, e.g. how they sleep, if they have a comforter etc.
Also at this time we would ask you to return any personal registration forms to our manager Micheala. This is to ensure we have all the necessary information / contact details, before you leave your child with us for the first time.
Your first day at Big Learners Bridge Room your child will need:
- A pack of nappies or pull-ups
- Baby wipes (if used)
- Creams for nappy time
- Spare clothes in case of accidents
- Milk and bottles (labelled with your child's name please)
- A sun hat and sun cream for the warmer months
- Care plan
- Under Ofsted regulations we are only allowed to administer medicine that has been prescribed by a doctor
- If your child needs prescribed medicine you will be asked to fill in a medicine form giving instruction on dosage, time etc
- You will be asked to sign a form at the end of the day so that you have the correct information about your child’s medication
- We can administer Calpol in an emergency but only with prior written consent from a parent
- We only give Calpol if your child has a high temperature and we have contacted you by telephone to request your verbal permission. We can only give one dose of Calpol per day
- If your child continues to run a high temperature we will endeavour to reduce it by cooling the child with damp cloths and removal of clothes. If this does not work we will request that you collect your child from nursery and seek medical assistance
- In extreme (and very rare) medical circumstances or if we cannot make contact with you or the recorded emergency contact person we will call for an ambulance
During your child’s time at our Nuffy Bear Day Nursery in Tunbridge Wells, should your child have an accident it will be dealt with by our trained first aiders. All details of the accident will be recorded on a paper form and electronically. You will be asked to sign the completed form when you collect your child.
Each child has their own learning journal in which their keyperson will record how your child is developing and progressing. This is done through observations and evaluating their play. By observing your child we can gain information to inform future planning and ensure that all your child’s individual needs are being met.
Each observation and assessment made on your child is recorded in their learning journey profile. You're welcome to access your child’s profile at any time and we share the file with you three times a year at our keyperson meetings.
We hope this information has been helpful, but should there be anything else you need to know please feel free to contact us and we'll be happy to help.
- Our Tunbridge Wells Day Nursery is open 51 weeks of the year with the exception of Bank Holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year
- In the event of a breakdown of essential services (e.g. electrical failure or loss of water supply etc), severe weather conditions or where the nursery has to close totally or partially due to an illness epidemic, it is important that you are familiar with the following procedures:
- Parents will be contacted either by phone, email or text message, asking them to collect their child/children
- Where the nursery has closed due to severe weather, loss of essential services or illness epidemic, please call to confirm that we will reopen before you drop off your child the following day
- In the event of heavy snow where transport services are affected, the nursery will open providing staff are able to get to work. If not all staff are able to make it to the nursery we may have to offer a limited number of spaces on a first come first served basis
- We may ask parents to wait with their children until staff have arrived at the nursery, or return at a later time once we have confirmed all staff have arrived safely
- We may also need to ask parents to make arrangements to collect their children early in such an eventuality.
We hope the above information has been helpful. Should there by anything else you need to know please contact us and we'll be happy to assist you further.
Contact our Nuffy Bear Day Nursery team in Tunbridge Wells:
Fill in the form below and we'll get back to you within one working day. If it's urgent, you can call us on 0300 123 6200.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.