Over 30 years as a consultant child specialist.
After qualifying in Leeds (UK) Prof Gatrad did most of his postgraduate training in the Manchester area. Before securing a consultant post he spent two years in Cardiology, and also trained in various specialities including: endocrinology, gastroenterology, dermatology, child psychiatry and chest diseases.
He looked after patients with neurological problems, urinary problems and childhood cancers. One year was spent in the care of newborn babies at the North West Centre for Perinatal Medicine in Manchester. He also spent 18 months in Malawi (Africa) working in a mission Hospital looking after malnourished children and those with tropical diseases such as malaria etc.
Prof Gatrad is Involved in Humanitarian aid in over 20 countries and has set up medical projects in many countries eg ‘Have a Heart’ project in S Africa, cataract projects in India and Breast cancer and limb reconstruction projects in Pakistan with facilitation of cleftlip/palate operations in the same country
Prof Gatrad will accept referrals for:
All general paediatric conditions: heart murmurs, asthma/cough and chest problems, crying babies, vomiting(reflux), feeding problems in babies, failure to thrive/diarrhoea, convulsions and epilepsy, headaches, constipation, abdominal pain, eczema, urine & kidney problems including bed wetting, anaemia, lethargy, growth problems and limping.
Tennis and Cricket. As Patron to the Midland International Aid Trust helps to raise money for Cleftlip Palate, Cataract operations and Heart intervention surgery in developing countries. In charge of a 1000 bedded orphange in NW India and through charity sends used NHS equipment (in working order) to the third world.
French, Gujarathi, Hindi
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Abdul Gatrad OBE at Nuffield Health
- Neonatal medicine
- Paediatric medicine
Papers written on: crying babies, a blood stained nappy, abnormal head shapes in babies and many other subjects.
Awards and Accolades
- OBE for services to children
- National award for clinical excellence
- Freeman of the Borough of Walsall
- Paul Harris Fellowship for Rotary International for work done on helping eradicate polio
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Ethics Committee of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Member on the panel of Post Graduate examiners for the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
Other post held
- Consultant Paediatrician Manor Hospital Walsall
- Hon Sen Lecturer University of Birmingham
- Professor in Paediatrics and Child Health Universities of Kentucky (USA)
Professor Abdul Gatrad OBE does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Abdul Gatrad OBE does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Abdul Gatrad OBE does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.