Mr Sherwood is a Consultant Paediatric and Neonatal Surgeon who qualified from the University of London in 1996. His training in Paediatric Surgery was based around the South East of England including Oxford, St Georges, Kings College and Great Ormond Street Hospitals. At the end of his training he undertook a fellowship in specialist Paediatric Urology. He was appointed as a Consultant Surgeon at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London in 2011
His practice covers all aspects of general surgery of childhood (eg. tongue tie release, groin hernia repair, hydrocoele correction, treatment of undescended testicle, circumcision and other day-case procedures). His specialist interests include upper gastrointestinal surgery and minimal access (keyhole) procedures in neonates and children.
His NHS department is renowned both nationally and internationally for its expertise in keyhole/laparoscopic surgery, especially in neonates which it helped pioneer. It is also the only department in the UK that has a state of the art robotic surgery system available for use exclusively on paediatric patients.
He is currently departmental lead for Clinical Governance issues and takes a keen interest in medical education and training, holding regular surgical teaching sessions for Paediatric and Neonatal doctors and General Practitioners throughout the Northwest Thames region.
- Neonatal surgery
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery
- Minimal access (laparoscopic/robotic) procedures
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux, gallstones, disorders of the spleen, constipation
- Rugby: Assistant coach / occasional referee for Under 9’s rugby squad, Gosford All Blacks RFC, Oxford
- Running: Completed London marathon 2013 for hospital charity
Treatments and tests offered by Mr William Sherwood at Nuffield Health
- Hernia repair
- Excision of skin lesion
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Paediatric medicine
MSc research thesis Paediatric Liver disease 2004
Selection of Publications:
- Incidence of Intra-abdominal abscess formation following laparoscopic appendicectomy in Children: Systematic review and Meta-analysis, Nataraja RM, Loukogeorgakis SP, Sherwood WJ, Clarke SA, Haddad MJ Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2013 Sep;23(9):795-802
- A comparative study examining open inguinal herniotomy with and without hernioscopy to laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair in a paediatric population, Niyogi A, Tahim AS, Sherwood WJ, De Caluwe D, Madden NP, Abel RM, Haddad MJ, Clarke SA., Pediatr Surg Int. 2010 Apr;26(4):387-92
- Postnatal outcomes of antenatally diagnosed abdominal cysts, W Sherwood, P Boyd, K Lakhoo, Pediatr Surg Int. 2008 Jul;24(7):763-5
- Expansion thoracoplasty for congenital spinal deformity – a multidisciplinary approach, W Sherwood, K Lakhoo, African Journal of Paediatric Surgery: Jul-Dec 2008, Vol5 (2)
- Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: An infective cause?, W Sherwood, M Choudhry, K Lakhoo, Pediatr Surg Int. 2007 Jan;23(1):61-3
- British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- British Association of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons
Other post held
- Consultant Paediatric and Neonatal Surgeon at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
Insurers Mr William Sherwood works with
Mr William Sherwood works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr William Sherwood does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr William Sherwood does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr William Sherwood does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.