Mr Cavanagh qualified with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at Cambridge University in 1979. As a medical student it was soon evident that he wished to become a surgeon. After Cambridge he took posts at Guy's Hospital, St Mary's Hospital and King's College Hospital in London. He gained much experience in gastrointestinal surgery, vascular surgery and neurosurgery as well as orthopaedic surgery in these early years.
He was a lecturer at Southampton University before becoming a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1985. As a Senior Registrar he worked at centres of excellence including St Mary's Hospital and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London. He won the Shaw Foundation Scholarship in 1988 and travelled to Australia and Singapore, where he worked in the Upper Limb Replantation unit serving South East Asia. He also lectured at the National University of Singapore.
After further experience in London he was awarded the British Orthopaedic Association's Travelling Fellowship and visited centres in France, Germany and the USA. Mr Cavanagh has a special interest in shoulder surgery.
Mr Cavanagh performs the following treatments at Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital:
- Shoulder replacement
- Shoulder decompression
- Rotator cuff repair
- Elbow surgery
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
Mr Cavanagh has specialist interest in upper limb and shoulder surgery. He has also developed extensive skills in arthroscopic minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery for use in the shoulder and knee.
Many of the conditions he manages are sports related injuries. Previous patients include test cricketers and rugby internationals.
Mr Cavanagh is a keen sailor and skiier. He lives in Chichester with his wife and five children.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Simon Cavanagh at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Shoulder decompression - key hole surgery
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Tennis elbow release
- Tibial osteotomy
- PCL reconstruction
- Knee arthroscopy surgery
- Elbow surgery
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Subtalar arthroscopy
- Trigger Point Injections
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Image guided joint injections
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Cubital tunnel release
- Knee replacement surgery
A sample of publications includes:
- "The true "Boxer's" fracture?"; 1992
- "The reverse radial forearm flap in the severely injured hand. An anatomical and clinical study."; 1992
- "A simple method of microdiscectomy: Review of 100 cases."; 1993
- "The investigation of recurrent pain following lumbar discectomy using high resolution MRI imaging techniques."; 1993
- "Longitudinal growth rate following slow physeal distraction. The proximal tibia growth plate in rabbits."; 1997
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Shoulder Elbow Society
- Court of Examiners, Royal College of Surgeons
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
Other post held
- Orthopaedic Consultant, Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital
Insurers Mr Simon Cavanagh works with
Mr Simon Cavanagh works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa Global
- Cigna International
- CS Healthcare
- Freedom Health
- Healix Healthcare
- Westfield Health WPA
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Simon Cavanagh does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Simon Cavanagh does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Simon Cavanagh does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.