- Specialities Orthopaedics, Joint replacement, Musculoskeletal
- Telephone 01273 627 007 (Brighton enquiries and appointments) or 01903 916581 (Medical Secretary)
- Year of first qualification 1997
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- GMC Number 4482437
- Fax 01903 916581
Mr da Assunção qualified as a doctor in South Africa and moved to the UK in 1998. He undertook speciality training in orthopaedic and trauma surgery in Southern England and then sub-specialised in knee and hip surgery. During this time, he undertook over 30 months of Fellowship training in advanced joint replacement and ligament reconstruction in Oxford, UK and Sydney, Australia, as well as undertaking orthopaedic trauma Fellowships in trauma centres in Perth, Australia and Seattle, USA.
He currently practices at Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Trust, where he has a special interest in knee and hip surgery. He has expertise in the management of conditions affecting the hip and knee, particularly those requiring joint replacement or reconstruction and also has significant experience with sports trauma and trauma in the elderly.
Mr da Assunção specialises in:
- Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon, Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Mr da Assunção tries to exercise as much as possible which allows him to enjoy good food and cooking in his spare time! He also loves fishing and the cinema and is definitely a bit of a petrolhead!
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Fellow British Orthopaedic Association
- Member of the British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- Member of the British Hip Society
Mr da Assunção has published several papers on knee surgery, hip surgery and trauma surgery and presented research at national and international meetings and conferences.
His current research includes knee and hip trauma in the elderly and revision joint replacement. He supervises medical students and surgical trainee projects and has an interest in surgical training.
DeclarationMr Ruy da Assunção works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Universal Provident
- AXA PPP International
- Exeter Family Friendly
- CS Healthcare
Mr Ruy da Assunção does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ruy da Assunção does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ruy da Assunção does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.