Mr Soomro is a lead urologist at Freeman Hospital. He is clinical lead in management of prostate cancer at Freeman Hospital. He has a particular interest in men diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Mr Soomro has developed the robotic prostatectomy in Newcastle. It is the only unit offering this procedure in Northeast UK.
He also has special interest in patients diagnosed with kidney cancer. He performs keyhole surgery for management of kidney cancer in particular small kidney cancer requiring laparoscopic and open partial nephrectomy.
Mr Soomro also manages general urology in particular men and women with lower urinary tract symptoms, men with inguinoscrotal problems and patients who have been found to have blood in their urine
- Management of men diagnosed with prostate cancer (Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy)
- Management of patients diagnosed with kidney cancer (Laparoscopic radical and partial nephrectomy)
- Men and women with lower urinary tract symptoms
- Inguinoscrotal problems in men
Fluent in Urdu and Punjabi
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Naeem Soomro at Nuffield Health
- Laparoscopic urology
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
- Vasectomy reversal
- Testicular ultrasound
- Intravenous pyelogram (IVP)
- Prostate surgery
- Prostate screening
- Radical prostatectomy
- Vasectomy or male sterilisation
Mr Soomro's area of clinical and basic research is in kidney and prostate cancer. He is currently principal investigator/co-applicant of many nationally funded trials in this field. He has secured over one million pounds of funding grants. Some of his ongoing research projects are:
- CONSERVE: Randomized feasibility trial comparing surgery with radiofrequency ablation / cryotherpay in treatment of small kidney cancers (< 4 cm). CRUK
- CARMENA: Randomised phase III trial evaluating nephrectomy and antiangiogenic treatment versus antiangiogenic treatment alone in patients with metastatic kidney cancer. NIHR
- Validation/Qualification of prognostic and monitoring biomarkers in RCC. NIHR
- Characterization of Renal Stem Cells. Northern kidney foundation
- Systematic review and cost-effectiveness comparison between laparoscopic and robotic surgery for prostate cancer. NIHR- HTA
He has over 60 publications in peer reviewed journals including:
- Vasdev N, Kass-Iliyya A, Patel A, Bedford G, O'Riordon A, Johnson M, Durkan G, Soomro NA. Developing a laparoscopic radical prostatectomy service: defining the learning curve. J Endourol. 2012
- Vasdev N, Khurram MA, Thomas D, Soomro N, Talbot D, Rix D The developing concept of using elective benign malignant kidneys for renal transplantation. BJU Int. 2011
- Heer R, Raymond I, Jackson MJ, Soomro NA. A Critical Systematic Review of Recent Clinical Trials Comparing Open Retropubic, Laparoscopic and Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy. Reviews on Recent Clinical Trials, 2011
- Vasdev N, Hussein HK, Davidson A, Wood H, O'Riordan A, Soomro NA. Radical renal surgery (laparoscopic and open) in octogenarians. Surgeon, 2011
- Navarro AP, Sohrabi S, Colechin E, Griffiths C, Talbot D, Soomro NA. Evaluation of the ischemic protection efficacy of a laparoscopic renal cooling device using renal transplantation viability assessment criteria in a porcine model, J Urol. 2008
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Association of Urology
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
Other post held
- Consultant Urologist, Freeman Hospital
Mr Naeem Soomro does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Naeem Soomro does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Naeem Soomro does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.