In 2000, Jon graduated from the University of Liverpool, in the top 5% of the national cohort, gaining a first class honours degree in medicine and surgery. After completing basic and higher surgical training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery within the Yorkshire region, he became one of the youngest surgeons ever to pass the Royal College Fellowship examinations. Jon’s name was added to the GMC Specialist Register in 2011.
Jon completed a high-volume fellowship in 2010. Following this, Jon completed a prestigious 18 months national fellowship at the Royal Derby Hospital with Tim Wilton, past BOA president, and Guido Geutjens, sports knee surgeon for Derby County FC and other Premier League football clubs. During this period, he completed more than 1,200 independent knee operations.
In 2013 Jon was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon at The Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
Jon’s specialist interests include the management of sports injuries, partial knee replacement and joint preservation surgery in young adults. He is affiliated with a number of elite sports clubs in the Yorkshire region, including Super League and Championship rugby league teams.
Knee Surgery Experience
To date, Jon has completed over 6,000 operations including 2,000 knee arthroscopies, 1500 total knee replacements, 500 partial knee replacements and 500 anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstructions. Jon is a former recipient of the prize for outstanding performance in arthroscopic (keyhole) knee surgery, awarded by the British Orthopaedic Association.
Mr Jon Smith specialises in the following treatments:
- ACL reconstruction
- BioPoly RS implantation
- Cartilage regeneration surgery (including Cartilage resurfacing and reconstruction)
- Knee arthroscopy (keyhole) surgery
- Knee ligament reconstruction
- Knee replacement revision
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Multi-ligament reconstruction
- Patella stabilisation surgery
- Patello-femoral knee replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Treatment of focal chondral problems
- Treatment of meniscal injury including repair
- Unicompartmental knee replacement
- Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon at The Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- British Trauma Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- The International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Jon’s research work has
In 2014 he was one of only three UK consultant surgeons selected to join an evolving European Excellence Programme based in Zurich, with a primary focus on
Jon is currently a lead investigator for a national
DeclarationMr Jon Smith works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Jon Smith does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Jon Smith does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Jon Smith does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.