- Specialities General Surgery, Bariatrics
- Telephone 02380 258420 (Secretary) / 02380 258464 (Enquiries)
- Year of first qualification 1989
- Email email@example.com
- GMC Number 3328736
- Fax 02380 258446
Mr Byrne studied medical science at the University of St Andrews, and then completed clinical studies in Manchester, qualifying in 1989. He then trained in General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery in the North West of England as Senior House Officer, and then Specialist Registrar.
He worked in 2001 as Senior Clinical Fellow at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, where he gained further specialist training in laparoscopic oesophageal and gastric surgery. He was then appointed as a Consultant at University Hospital Southampton in 2002.
Mr Byrne's clinical practice is focussed on upper gastrointestinal surgery for obesity and oesophageal and gastric cancer. He also treats patients for gastro-oesophageal reflux, gallstone disease and hernia.
As well as conventional weight loss surgery with gastric band, gastric bypass, and sleeve gastrectomy, Mr Byrne has a particular interest and experience of novel procedures to help patients lose weight.
- Bi Weekly Monday 18:00 - 21:00
- Consultant Surgeon, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Southampton
Outside of work he enjoys road and mountain biking, golf, skiing, boating and sailing, and most of all his family.
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeon of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
- International Society for Diseases of the Oesophagus
Mr Byrne is actively researching obesity and oesophageal cancer, and has published over 20 papers in refereed journals. He was awarded a research doctorate (MD) from Manchester University in 1998.
Mr James Patrick Byrne does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr James Patrick Byrne does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr James Patrick Byrne does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.