- Specialities ENT (Otolaryngology)
- Telephone 01912 816 131
- Year of first qualification 1995
- GMC Number 4201207
- Website http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/services/ent_meet-the-team.aspx
- Fax 01912 811 379
Having graduated from the University College Hospital Medical School in London, Mr Siou returned to his native North East for basic and specialist surgical training. During this period he was awarded a two year Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellowship at Newcastle Medical School where he was awarded an MD.
Mr Siou sees and operates on general ENT conditions in both children and adults but has developed specific specialist skills in paediatric airway surgery and in surgery for head and neck cancer, thyroid and salivary gland conditions during his training. He is a member of the Newcastle Hospitals Paediatric Airway Service working closely with paediatric colleagues at the Great North Childrens Hospital. Mr Siou holds Advanced Paediatric Life Support provider status and revalidates on a regular basis.
Mr Siou's special clinics:
- Multidisciplinary paediatric airway clinic with Consultant Respiratory Paediatricians, specialist nurse and paediatric speech and language therapist
- Multidisciplinary speech valve clinic with adult speech and language therapists for head and neck cancer patients who have undergone surgical voice restoration
- Weekly Monday 14:00 - 15:00
- Consultant ENT Surgeon, Freeman Hospital Newcastle upon Tyne
Mr Siou has an interest in undergraduate and postgraduate training of doctors of the future and is regularly involved in annual teaching for medical students and is co-director of the Newcastle Intercollegiate ENT FRCS Revision course at the Freeman Hospital.
He serves on the faculty of a number of training courses including the Cleveland International Laser Surgery Course.
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons England
- ENT UK
- British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists
- British Rhinological Society
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Otolaryngology Research Society
- North of England Otolaryngology Society
- British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologists
- Group A Streptococcus / human epithelial cell interaction: an in vitro model if tonsil epithelial infection? Clin Oto 2004.
- Antimicrobial peptide expression in human tonsils. Clin Oto 2004.
- Expression and immunolocalisation of antimicrobial peptides within human palatine tonsils. J Laryngol Otol 2007.
- Pili mediate specific adhesion of streptococcus pyogenes to human tonsil and skin . Cell Microb 2007
- Review of decannulation experience and duration of tracheostomy within the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust . European Respiratory Society Submission 2010
- Contributor to the Illustrated Textbook of Paediatrics. Chapter 16. 2nd Edition 2011
- Chapter author in Principles and Practice of Lasers in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Chap 17: Paediatric laryngo-tracheal airway, 2012
Mr Gerard Siou does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Gerard Siou does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Gerard Siou does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.