Dr Heuschkel qualified St Mary’s Medical School, London in 1990. He trained in paediatric gastroenterology in London and the Combined Program for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition at Boston Children’s, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. He was first appointed a Consultant in Paediatric Gastroenterology at the Royal Free Hospital in 2000.
He moved to Addenbrookes Hospital in 2008 to establish a regional gastroenterology service for children in the East of England. He now works as part of a larger team offering a full range of clinical services for children of all ages with gut disease. Together with his team he has ongoing academic research and clinical trial activity on the Cambridge Campus. He continues to publish in peer-reviewed journals and teach at national and international meetings. He is currently Service Lead for Paediatric Gastroenterology and Divisional Director for Women’s & Children’s Services at Addenbrookes.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Recurrent abdominal pain
- Colic & Reflux
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Loose stools
- Feeding problems
- Food intolerance
Travel, motorbikes and cycling
English and German
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Robert Heuschkel at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
Research interests predominantly in children with IBD. This is focused on the origins and mechanisms of gut inflammation, and the impact of the environment on causing gut disease in children. Selection of recent publications:
- Zilbauer M, Zellos A, Heuschkel R et al. Epigenetics in Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition: Present Trends and Future Perspectives. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016 Apr;62(4):521-9
- Wahid AM, Devarajan K, Ross A, Zilbauer M, Heuschkel R. Paediatric gastrointestinal endoscopy: a qualitative study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol.2016 Jan;28(1):25-9
- Kraiczy J, Nayak K, Ross A, Raine T, Mak TN, Gasparetto M, Cario E, Rakyan V, Heuschkel R, Zilbauer M. Assessing DNA methylation in the developing human intestinal epithelium: potential link to inflammatory bowel disease. Mucosal Immunol. 2016 May;9(3):647-58
- Atherton R, Ross A, Jessop F, Williams R, Heuschkel R, Zilbauer M. Coeliac disease in children with type 1 diabetes: are current guidelines proving difficult to implement in practice? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014 Nov;59(5):600-3
- Papadopoulou A, Koletzko S, Heuschkel R et al; ESPGHAN Eosinophilic Esophagitis Working Group. Management guidelines of eosinophilic esophagitis in childhood. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014 Jan;58(1):107-18
- Schäppi MG, Staiano A, Milla PJ, Smith VV, Dias JA, Heuschkel R, et al. A practical guide for the diagnosis of primary enteric nervous system disorders. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013 Nov;57(5):677-86
- Koletzko S, Niggemann B, Arato A, Dias JA, Heuschkel R et al; European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. Diagnostic approach and management of cow's-milk protein allergy in infants and children: ESPGHAN GI Committee practical guidelines. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012 Aug;55(2):221-9
- British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition
- European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
Other post held
- Consultant Paediatric Gastroenterologist
- Service Lead for Paediatric Gastroenterology
- Divisional Director, Women & Children’s Services, Addenbrookes Hospital
Insurers Dr Robert Heuschkel works with
Dr Robert Heuschkel works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Robert Heuschkel does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Robert Heuschkel does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Robert Heuschkel does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.