Following graduation from Cambridge University Dr Thomson did basic medical training in London and the South West. He trained in gastroenterology in Wessex and spent a year in Australia at the National Liver Transplant Unit.
Dr Thomson is a clinical senior lecturer in teaching and has a particular interest in communication and consultation skills and in the teaching of colonoscopy.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Richard Thomson at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
Held a British Digestive Foundation Clinical Research Training Fellowship and published papers on the Immunology of Primary Biliary Cirrhosis.
Has also published on acute care, coeliac disease and gastro-oesophageal reflux.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Lon) (Glas)
Other post held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust
- Senior Lecturer in Medicine and Clinical Sub Dean, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr Richard Thomson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Richard Thomson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Richard Thomson does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.