Dr Sawyer has been a consultant for 18 years and has gained extensive experience in managing chronic pain conditions such as spinal pain (including whiplash injuries), neuropathic pain, interventional pain management and the appropriate use of high dose opioids in managing chronic pain.
He was lead clinician at Plymouth Pain management centre for seven years and has extensive NHS management experience. He is skilled in interventional pain management and experienced in appropriate use of interventional procedures.
Dr Sawyer has extensive experience in understanding the psychological aspects of chronic pain management and will advise on further onward referral to allied health professionals (psycologists, physiotherapists etc) when appropriate.
He has over 16 years experience in undertaking medicolegal work in the area of chronic pain personal injury and litigation claims.
- Radiofrequency denervation procedures
- Ultrasound guided pain procedures
- Injections for myofascial pain
- Neuromodulation / Spinal Cord Stimulation
Dr Sawyer has an interest in neuromodulation and how this can be utilized to manage chronic pain.
Dr Sawyer enjoys all sports but particularly rugby, swimming and squash. He is a keen musician – regularly playing his classical guitar.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Richard Sawyer at Nuffield Health
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Trigger Point Injections
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Pain clinic
- Facet joint injections
- Dorsal root ganglion block
- X-Ray Guided Facet Joint Injection
- Epidural anaesthetic
- Image guided joint injections
- British Medical Association
- Fellow Royal College of Anaesthetists
- British Pain Society
- World Institute of Pain
- International Association for the Study of Pain
Other post held
- Consultant Anaesthetist and Pain Management, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
Dr Richard Sawyer does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Richard Sawyer does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Richard Sawyer does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.