Dr O'Kane is a General Cardiologist specialising in General Internal Medicine and Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) including Transradial and transfemoral balloon angioplasty and stenting.
He also specialises in intravascular ultrasound to facilitate lesion assessment and optimize stent deployment and pressure wire to determine physiological significance as a lesion to decide if it requires stenting.
In addition, he specialises in rotational atherectomy to treat heavily calcified coronary arteries.
Additional treatments include laser coronary atherectomy, useful in treating saphenous vein grafting, mild calcified lesions, coronary thrombus and in-stent restenosis.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Peter O'Kane at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Jokhi P & O’Kane P, Induction of pulsus alternans following angioplasty in severe heart failure, Eurointervention 2010; 6(1); 171
- Redwood S & O’Kane P, Laser for PCI, Chapter 34 in Oxford Textbook of Interventional Cardiology (Book Published May 2010).
- O'Kane P, Xie L, Liu Z, Queen L, Jackson G, Yong J & Ferro A., Aspirin acetylates nitric oxide synthase type 3 in platelets thereby increasing its activity, Cardiovascular Research 2009; 83: 131-139.
- Jokhi P, Talwar S, O’Kane P, Use of laser atherectomy and IVUS guidance during PCI on a saphenous vein bypass graft with subacute total occlusion, Eurointervention 2008; 4 (Web).
- O’Kane P, Reebye V, Yong J, Stratton P, Jackson, Aspirin and clopidogrel treatment impair nitric oxide biosynthesis by platelets, Journal Molecular & Cellular Cardiology 2008 45; 223-229.
- O'Kane P, Jackson G & Ferro A., Whole body nitric oxide production is not decreased in patients with coronary atherosclerosis but is inversely related to plasma homocysteine, Atherosclerosis: 2008; 196 574-579
- British Cardiac Interventional Society
- Royal College of Physicians (Lon)
Other posts held
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Royal Bournemouth Hospital
- Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital
Dr Peter O'Kane does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Peter O'Kane does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Peter O'Kane does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.