- Specialities Sports Medicine
- Telephone 01912 816131
- Year of first qualification 1999
- GMC Number 4619651
- Fax 01912 811379
Paul graduated from Medicine at Newcastle University in 1999, becoming a full time Emergency Medicine Consultant in 2008. He received his Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine from Bath University in 2007 and began working full time in elite sport in 2009.
Paul has previously worked for the Football Association as team doctor for England Futsal, England U17, England U16 and at the World University Games with the Great Britain University Football Team in 2005. He worked at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester and has been a medical officer at the Great North Run. He is currently the Sports and Exercise Medicine Training Programme Director for the Northern Deanery.
In his spare time he likes to spend time with his wife and 3 boys, and even manages to take part in the occasional triathlon!
- Weekly Thursday 17:00 - 20:00
- Club Doctor, Newcastle United FC
- Locum Consultant Emergency Medicine (Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead
- Training Programme Director, Sports and Exercise Medicine, Northern Deanery
- Acute muscle injury
Football, triathlon, reading and music
- Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- British Association of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- British Institute of Musculoskeletal Medicine
- Catterson P, et al. Young people, alcohol and designer drinks. Conventional drinks are a much greater threat to health than designer drinks (comment, letter). BMJ 1997 314: 1622- 1623
- Catterson PR, Summerfield GP, Beesley JR. Interpretation of iron studies in adolescent haemochromatosis (case report). Clin Lab Haem 1999 211: 129- 131.
- Catterson PR, Jarman RD. Rupture of pectoralis major: an occupational injury. Emerg Med J 2007 24(11): 799.
- Poster Presentation: ‘A Review of MRI Outcomes at Newcastle United Football Club 2011/12’ XXXII WORLD CONGRESS OF SPORTS MEDICINE, Rome 27-30 September 2012
DeclarationDr Paul Catterson works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Paul Catterson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Paul Catterson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Paul Catterson does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.