Dr Last is a consultant medical oncologist at York Teaching Hospital and Harrogate District Hospital specialising in the treatment of upper gastrointestinal (stomach and oesophagus) and hepatobiliary (pancreas, bile duct and liver) malignancies, and colorectal (bowel) and neuroendocrine cancers. His undergraduate training was at King’s and University Colleges, University of London. He completed his specialist training in medical oncology at the Royal Marsden in London.
He obtained his PhD thesis from St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London in translation research that identified novel prognostic and predictive factors in lymphoma. He maintains an interest in research as the local principle investigator for an expanding portfolio of clinical trials.
Dr Last practices patient-centred oncology through excellent and empathic communication - striving to maximise the chances of cure and when this is not possible, by optimising the quality and extending the duration of his patients' lives with cancer through systemic anticancer therapies.
Chemotherapy, Medical oncology,
Gastrointestinal cancers (bowel, rectal, pancreas, oesophagus, liver, bile duct and stomach),
Dr Last enjoys gardening and French culture. As a Yorkshireman he was delighted to return to work his childhood home county.
Dr Last maintains an active interest in clinical researchby being the principal investigator for a range of trials relevant to his patients.
Selected pubilcations include:
- The activity of methylated and non-methylated selenium species in lymphoma cell lines and primary tumours, K Last, L Maharaj, J Perry, S Strauss, J Fitzgibbon, TA Lister, S Joel Annals of Oncology 2006 May;17(5):773-9.
- Molecular Diagnosis of Lymphoma: Outcome Prediction by Gene Expression Profiling in Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma, K Last, S Debarnardi, TA Lister Methods in Molecular Medicine 2005;115:15-63.
- Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma Outcome Prediction by gene Expression Profiling and Supervised Machine Learning, MA Shipp, P Tamayo, K Ross, AP Weng, J Kutok, RC Aguiar, M Gaasenbeek, M Angelo, M Reich, GS Pinkus, TS Ray, MA Koval, KW Last, A Norton, TA Lister, J Mesirov, DS Neuberg, ES Lander, JC Aster, TR Golub
- Association of Cancer Physicians
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Medical Association
Other post held
- York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Dr Kim Last works with
Dr Kim Last works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Kim Last does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Kim Last does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Kim Last does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.