Dr John Thomson is a Consultant Cardiologist accredited in the practice of congenital heart disease. He is entering his 13th year as a consultant and his time is split evenly between paediatric and adult congenital heart disease. He is currently the lead for congenital cardiology in the regional unit in Leeds and is an associate Professor in the faculty of medicine, University of Leeds.
Dr John Thomson provides a full range of diagnostic services for children with (or with suspected) heart problems. Approximately half of his time in NHS practice is spent caring for adult patients with congenital heart problems. These are patients who have been diagnosed with heart problems during childhood and have "graduated" to adult life along with a significant number of young (or even not so young) patients who are diagnosed with a congenital heart problem in later life.
In addition to diagnostic services including echocardiography his main area of expertise is in therapeutic cardiac catheterisation in congenital heart disease (keyhole treatment) for which he is the lead at the Yorkshire, Humber and Lincolnshire regions congenital heart service based at the Leeds teaching hospitals NHS trust. These procedures allow patients to be treated for a large number of heart problems without the need for an open heart operation.
Dr John Thomson is a high volume operator significantly exceeding the numbers of cases required nationally for accreditation in this area. He is fully competent in atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure as well as transcatheter valve dilation and replacement. He also performs a large number of lower volume transcatheter procedures in rarer congenital and structural heart defects.
Dr John Thomson's practice covers:
- Cardiology-congenital heart disease including Paediatric cardiology and adult congenital heart disease
- Children's cardiac
- Cardiology in young adults
- Structural and congenital transcatheter intervention (e.g. atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure, valvuloplasty, coarctation stenting etc)
- Syncopal episodes
- Tachy/Bradyarrhythmia (palpitations)
- Holter monitoring
- Bubble study echocardiograms.
- Muscular VSD
Dr Thomson is a family man with two teenage children. They have two dogs who are an integral part of the family. He is a keen sportsman enjoying most sports, in particular, he has a great love of cycling.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr John Thomson at Nuffield Health
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- MD thesis on neurological damage during the closure of atrial septal defects
- 7 book chapters
- 33 publications in peer reviewed journals.
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Congenital Cardiac Association
- Royal College of Physicians
- Society for Cardiac Angiography &
Other post held
- Consultant Congenital Cardiologist, Leeds General Infirmary
Insurers Dr John Thomson works with
Dr John Thomson works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr John Thomson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr John Thomson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr John Thomson does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.