Dr Portal trained in London, working at a variety of teaching hospitals including Guys and St Thomas’ and St Georges. He also spent three years working in the world renowned Liver Unit at Kings College Hospital, where he was awarded an MD for work treating the complications of cirrhosis.
He currently works at the Bristol Royal Infirmary as a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist. His specialist areas of interest are upper and lower GI endoscopy (gastroscopy and colonoscopy), Hepatobiliary disease, and diseases of the upper GI tract and Liver. He is the lead doctor for liver transplant assessment.
Dr Portal has a great interest in all aspects of endoscopy, including upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy and hepatobiliary endoscopy. He has set up the Regional SpyGlass service, which allows endoscopic treatment of complex gallstones and aids in the diagnosis of hepatobiliary cancers. He is the current lead doctor for endoscopy at the Nuffield Chesterfield.
He is passionate about the education of the next generation of doctors: he regularly teaches at the St George’s National Training Centre for Endoscopy, is the Foundation Programme Lead for the BRI and also teaches on many Advanced Life Support courses.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic gastroscopy, colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy.
- Cancers of the upper and lower GI tract
- Cancers of the liver and bile ducts
- Endoscopic treatment of gallstones
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Reflux disease and abdominal pain
- Colonic Polyps
Dr Portal is a keen cyclist, and can often be found at weekends around the hills of North Somerset and South Gloucestershire.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Jim Portal at Nuffield Health
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Principal investigator for several clinical studies.
- Multiple publications in the field of endoscopy and liver disease.
- British Medical Association
- British Association For the Study Of the Liver
- European Association For the Study Of the Liver
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist, Bristol Royal Infirmary, University Hospital Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- Hepatobiliary Endoscopy Lead
- Lead for the Regional SpyGlass Endoscopy Service
- Lead for Liver Transplant Assessment
- Core Member of the Regional Hepatobiliary Cancer Multidisciplinary Team
- Lead Doctor for Endoscopy Nuffield Health Hospital, The Chesterfield
Dr Jim Portal does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Jim Portal does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Jim Portal does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.