- Specialities Radiology (Diagnostics), Vascular and endovascular surgery
- Telephone 01133 882 067
- Year of first qualification 1996
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
English and German
- GMC Number 4329532
- Fax 0113 301 0245
Dr Christopher Hammond is a consultant vascular radiologist. He specialises in treatments using small punctures into blood vessels and navigating tiny instruments though them towards the site of the disease. This is sometimes called 'pinhole surgery'.
There are many diseases that can be treated in this manner. Recovery after pinhole surgery is usually much faster than after open or even key-hole surgery. The technique has made possible many new and innovative treatments.
His main areas of interest are:
- Treatments for fibroids (including Uterine Artery Embolization) and ademoyosis (diseases of the uterus)
- Hepatic (liver) treatment for cancers and other diseases,
- Treatment of trauma and aneurysms of the major blood vessels of the chest and abdomen.
Dr Christopher Hammond has helped develop national standards for pinhole treatments in these areas and has on-going related responsibilities with NICE and other professional organisations.
He firmly believes in a holistic and patient-centered approach to these complex treatments and is careful to ensure that his patients’ concerns and expectations always remain central to any treatment programme.
Dr Hammond specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- Every Tuesday 6.30-8.30pm
- Leeds General Infirmary
- St James’s University Hospital
- Consultant Vascular Radiologist at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Medical education
- Healthcare informatics
- Audit and safety
- Freeride and off piste skiing
- Computing and informatics
- Royal College of Radiologists
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Society of Interventional Radiology
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Society of Europe
- Medical Defense Union
Dr Christopher Hammond was the principal investigator in Leeds for the FEMME trial of embolisation vs. fibroid removal for uterine fibroids. He is also an investigator in Leeds for multicentre studies of peripheral vascular disease, aortic disease, and embolisation for liver cancer.
His local research interests include review of outcomes after endovascular repair of aortic aneurysms, outcomes after fibroid embolisation and outcomes after procedures to make liver cancer surgery safer in people with small livers (portal vein embolisaiton).
DeclarationDr Christopher Hammond works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Christopher Hammond does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Christopher Hammond does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Christopher Hammond does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.