Carrie is a Consultant Surgeon who specialises in conditions of the mouth, face, head and neck, and is an expert in skin cancer management and reconstruction. She undertook her higher surgical training in Ireland, East Grinstead, Brighton and Guildford. She was appointed as a Consultant to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford in 2003, and held the post of Clinical Director from 2006 to 2010. She is the co-author of the prestigious Oxford Specialist Handbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, with editions published in 2009 and 2014.
Carrie holds several national posts including:
- Lead for Skin Cancer Surgery for the British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons at the Royal College of Surgeons.
- Editorial Advisor to the British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, reviewing scientific papers.
- Invited member of Intercollegiate Board of Examiners for the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, writing questions and standard setting for the specialty and in 2014 was appointed Chair of the writing group for this exam, which senior trainees must pass to become a consultant.
- Advisor to the NHS Choices Website for Oral and Maxillofacial surgery, for whom she has appeared in patient information videos on mouth cancer and wisdom teeth.
Oral and Maxillofacial, Oral Surgery, Head and Neck, Skin Cancer
Carrie has written numerous publications in peer reviewed journals. She is the Lead Chapter author, “Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer” in the UK Consensus Guidelines in Head and Neck Cancer published in 2011 and has updated in 2016.
In 2012, she was awarded the BAOMS Surgery Prize - “A prize and medal awarded annually, which will be considered a high honour, to be awarded to a person or persons who are adjudged to have made a major contribution to Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the widest sense” by the British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, at the Royal College of Surgeons.
She is presently working with the British Association of Dermatologists, updating the internationally recognised guidelines on Basal Cell and Squamous cell skin cancers. These are due for publication in 2019.
Carrie has an audited complete excision rate of basal cell carcinoma of over 98%, carrying out care of over 600 skin cancer patients per year.
She is current Co-Chair of the Surrey Sussex and Hampshire Multidisciplinary Skin Cancer Team, and provides the sentinel node biopsy service for patients with head and neck melanoma to the Cancer Network.
Gardening and tapestry. Carrie appeared with Roger Moore on the One Show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQlzpnzQGE
English and some French
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Carrie Newlands at Nuffield Health
- Skin surgery
- Mole removal
- Eyelid cyst removal
- Removing wisdom teeth
- Local anaesthetic
- Skin cancer surgery
- Tooth Removal (Extraction)
- Submandibular gland removal
- Parotid gland removal (parotidectomy)
- Mole assessment
- Facial surgery
- Excision of skin lesion
Recent publications include:
- The Oxford Specialist Handbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2009 and 2014
- Chapter Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer, C Newlands (lead), M Gleeson, N Jones, R Shaffer, A Memon, in Roland NJ, Paleri V (eds) Head and Neck Cancer: Multidisciplinary Management Guidelines 4th Edition, London: ENT UK,2011, update due for publication 2015
In 2014 she was an invited expert reviewer of the SIGN (Scottish NHS) Guidelines on Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/SIGN140.pdf
Additional publications can be viewed here.
- British Medical Association
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Other post held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
Insurers Dr Carrie Newlands works with
Dr Carrie Newlands works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Carrie Newlands does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Carrie Newlands does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Carrie Newlands does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.