Dr Pees studied and graduated in medicine at Giessen University, Germany in 1989. Following a period of immunological research she was awarded doctor of medicine (MD) in 1991 and began postgraduate training in general medicine, surgery and dermatology, which she completed in 1993.
In 1994 she began specialist training in dermatology, which she completed in 2002. During this period she lived and worked both in the UK and Germany. In 2003 she moved to the UK and commenced working initially as a locum consultant and since 2008 as permanent consultant dermatologist for UHS NHS Trust in Southampton.
Dr Pees has a broad experience in all aspects of Dermatology with a keen interest in the early diagnosis of melanoma and skin cancer, mole screening and skin allergies/patch testing. She also performs skin biopsies and surgery for skin cancer and symptomatic skin lesions, Photodynamic therapy, treatments for hyperhidrosis, xanthelasma.
Skiing and music
English and German
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Birgit Pees at Nuffield Health
- Excision of skin lesion
- Skin cancer surgery
- Mole assessment
- Mole removal
- Skin grafts for leg ulcers
- Detection of super typical HLA-DP allele (MD thesis)
- Protection against uv- induced DNA damage through Omega-3 supplementation shown in comet assay ( Liverpool research registrar project)
- Co-investigator in national Lentgo maligna study (Limit-1)
- Co-investigator in impedance study on melanoma (Nevisense)
- British Association of Dermatologists
- British Society for Cutaneous Allergy
- European Society for Cutaneous Allergy and Contact Dermatitis
Other post held
- Southampton University Hospitals Trust
- University Hospital Southampton NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Birgit Pees works with
Dr Birgit Pees works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Birgit Pees does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Birgit Pees does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Birgit Pees does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.