- Specialities General Medicine, Respiratory Medicine
- Telephone 02380 258464 (Enquiries)
- Year of first qualification 1991
- Email Wessex.firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 3541739
- Fax 02380 258446
- General Medicine (all areas) including infectious diseases and tropical infections
- Respiratory Medicine (all areas)
- Lung cancer and mesothelioma
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- Breathlessness: diagnosis and treatment
- Chronic lung disease including asthma and COPD
- Asbestos-related disease
- By arrangement, typically within 24 hours
- Consultant Respiratory Physician, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
Trained in Medicine at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, having grown up in County Durham, England.
Dr Banerjee's specialty training was on the South East Thames Higher Specialist Training Programme in Respiratory and General Medicine, at Guy’s and St Thomas’ and Kings College Hospitals, London. He had a wide and varied experience of all aspects of General and Chest Medicine in a busy inner city environment with a broad ethnic mix of patients and conditions. This included two years of specialist cardiology, and a year of renal medicine. During his research he gained a further 3 years of renal experience in Cambridge at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Dr Banerjee developed his clinical interests in lung cancer, mesothelioma, COPD, asthma and tuberculosis during this period, and experience in high-dependency care and non-invasive ventilation. He also participated in the management of a broad range of tropical infections and diseases.
- Teaches at the Medical School at the University of Southampton. Examiner for the Royal College of Physicians.
- Direct courses for preparation for postgraduate examinations.
- Has a keen interest in teaching at all levels from Allied Health Professionals, through students to Postgraduates.
Dr Banerjee coaches U11 cricket, spends time with his 2 boys, plays classical guitar and enjoys exhibitions and museums of history.
- Royal College of Physicians (Fellow)
- British Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
Early diagnosis and detection of lung cancer. Dr Banerjee's main interest is the relationship between smoking-induced changes in the lung and later cancer development.
His PhD work was done jointly at University College, London and the MRC Laboratory for Molecular Biology, Cambridge on the mechanisms by which early abnormalities in the airways develop into cancer in susceptible smokers.
He led 2 studies looking into detecting lung cancers at a stage when a cure is feasible.
Dr Anindo Banerjee does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Anindo Banerjee does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Anindo Banerjee does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.