Since qualifying from Birmingham University in 1998, Dr Maher has pursued a career in Clinical Cardiology. He has worked in most hospitals in the region prior to settling into his Consultant post. He is passionate about offering the best medical care possible and endeavours to pursue excellence in all that he does.
Dr Maher has a research interest in Heart Failure and the phenomenon of Transported Nitric Oxide leading to Targeted Vaso and Veno Dilatation. He has published in the area and has completed a PhD. Within Clinical Cardiology, Dr Maher is passionate about Cardiac Imaging as it leads to accurate diagnosis and about Complex Cardiac Devices due to the massive benefits that these can give to patients’ lives.
Football, martial arts (including Tae Kwon Do and Steel Wire Mantis Kung Fu).
Although English is his first language, Dr Maher is also fluent in Punjabi and Urdu. He is happy to see patients and conduct consultation in these languages.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Abdul Maher at Nuffield Health
- Assessment of all Aspects of Cardiology
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
The role of Transported Nitric Oxide in health and the treatment of Heart Failure.
- Hypoxic modMaher AR, Milsom AB, Gunaruwan P, Abozguia K, Ahmed I, Weaver RA, Thomas P, Ashrafian H, Born GV, James PE, Frenneaux MP.ulation of exogenous nitrite-induced vasodilation in humans. Circulation. 2008 Feb 5;117 (5):670-7
- Abdul R. Maher, Julian O. M. Ormerod, Sayqa Arif, Houman Ashrafian and Michael P. Frenneaux Xanthine Oxidoreductase and Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase Do Not Contribute To Vascular Relaxation by Nitrite in Man. Submitted to the Clinical Science.
- Impact of chronic congestive heart failure on pharmacokinetics and vasomotor effects of infused nitrite Abdul R Maher, Sayqa Arif, Melanie Madhani, Khalid Abozguia, Ibrar Ahmed, Bernadette O Fernandez, Martin Feelisch, A G O’Sullivan, Arthur Christopoulos, Aaron L Sverdlov, Doan Ngo, Rustem Dautov Philip E James†, John D Horowitz and Michael P Frenneaux. Submitted to British Journal of Pharmacology.
- Julian O.M. Ormerod, Houman Ashrafian, Abdul Maher, Sayqa Arif, Violetta Steeples, Gustav V.R. Born, Stuart Egginton, Martin Feelisch, Hugh Watkins, Michael P. Frenneaux. The Role of Vascular Myoglobin in Nitrite mediated blood vessel relaxation. Cardiovasc Res. 2011 Feb 15;89(3):560-5. Epub 2010 Oct 1.
- British Society of Echo
- Heart Rhythm UK
- Euro CMR
- SCMR (USA)
Other post held
- George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton
- University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire
Insurers Dr Abdul Maher works with
Dr Abdul Maher works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Dr Abdul Maher does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Abdul Maher does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Abdul Maher does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.