Hypertension, also know as high blood pressure, is a condition in which the blood pressure in an individuals arteries is raised. This requires the heart to work harder and faster than normal to circulate blood around the body.
Blood pressure involves two measurements (systolic and diastolic) which depend on whether the heart muscle is contracting or relaxed between beats. Normal blood pressure is at or below 120/80 mmHg. An individual is said to have high blood pressure if it is consistently above 140/90 mmHg.
Hypertension is classified as either primary hypertension or secondary hypertension. Approximately 90% - 95% of cases are categorized as primary which means high blood pressure with no obvious underlying medical cause. The remaining 5% - 10% of cases (secondary hypertension) are caused by other conditions that affect the arteries, kidneys, or heart.
Hypertension is a major risk factor for stroke, heart attacks, heart failure, aortic aneurysm, peripheral arterial disease and is a cause of chronic kidney disease. Lifestyle changes and amendments to ones diet can improve blood pressure and decrease the risk of associated health complications.
For more information or to book an appointment call us on 0845 603 4346 or simply fill out the form on your right and we will all you back.
Hypertension can be treated at the following locations:open
Promise is valid for patients paying for themselves. Excludes assisted conception and IVF treatments. Your initial consultation and any necessary tests are paid for separately.
* Not including private patient units at NHS hospitals. Local area defined as within 15 miles of the Nuffield Health hospital. We will match against written quotes only.
** Where possible, we promise to assist you to receive any follow up advice, treatment or care that is clinically required from your Consultant for as long as you may require it. If a prosthesis is used as part of your treatment this is guaranteed for the manufacturer’s official lifetime of that prosthesis. “Clinically required” indicates where further intervention and/or monitoring of a patient’s condition is deemed necessary as a direct result of surgical intervention.