The complicated working of your bones, joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as your nerves, is often referred to as your musculoskeletal system. Orthopaedics is the type of surgery that treats this system.
Our orthopaedic team specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of the musculoskeletal system. Our advanced diagnostics technology, including MRI and CT scans, provides our consultants with a complete picture.
Treatment could be surgical or non-surgical and can involve minimally invasive techniques, which may reduce recovery times and the risk of infection. All of our orthopaedic procedures can be carried out at one of our network of hospitals throughout the UK.
Some of the orthopaedic procedures available at Nuffield Health include:
Elements of your musculoskeletal system:
- Bones - Consisting of calcium, phosphate and other minerals
- Cartilage - The smooth covering on the ends of your bones
- Ligaments - Fibrous bands of tissue connecting your bones together
- Tendons - Tough cords of inelastic fibrous tissue, connecting your muscles to your bones
- Muscles - Fibrous tissue that contracts to produce a particular movement
- Nerves - Bundles of fibres that send instructions to the brain to allow movement and sensation.